1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CX500c idle problems

Im having troubles getting my engine to idle

Ive completely cleaned the carbs'

I have replaced the floats. idle pins and seats.

I have also adjusted the valves.

I just cant get it to idle without maintaining some gas at stops'

Any feedback would be appreciated
'

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
At what speed will the bike continue to run when the throttle is used to control idle? 1100 RPM is the standard called for in the manuals. This speed can be adjusted by the large black knob under and between the carbs.

If your bike still doesn't want to idle at 1100, then you may have a clogged passage in the carbs. These carbs are not fully cleaned by simple wiping out the float bowl and reassembling.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At what speed will the bike continue to run when the throttle is used to control idle? 1100 RPM is the standard called for in the manuals. This speed can be adjusted by the large black knob under and between the carbs.

If your bike still doesn't want to idle at 1100, then you may have a clogged passage in the carbs. These carbs are not fully cleaned by simple wiping out the float bowl and reassembling.

seems as if it dies right around 1100-1300 rpms

The carbs were thoughly cleaned on the bench by a local shop'

thanx

I will try to adjust them again...

·
Registered
197 Posts
Start with what Blue Fox said, the idle adjuster knob. You may need to sync them up after the cleaning? Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
23,718 Posts
Turn the mixture screws all the way in [don't 'tighten' them, just turn them in slow and gentle until they stop turning.]

Turn them back out 2 and a half turns and see if it will idle lower then.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
If you still have the original caps with the tab on the idle screw, you may not be able to turn them in. You would have to remove the float bowl in order to seat the valves.

There is very little doubt in my mind that the shop that "cleaned" your carbs just did a cursory job. Ask them if they ultrasoniced the carbs, replaced the ACV valves, replaced the O rings in the idle needle hole, and pulled the emulsion tubes from under the jets. (both of them). What did they charge for this "cleaning"? To do a proper job, requires a ultrasonic cleaner, some specific size drill bits, a couple of good screwdrivers, a can of carb cleaner, 8 hours dedicated to the task, and someone who has personal interest in the outcome.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you still have the original caps with the tab on the idle screw, you may not be able to turn them in. You would have to remove the float bowl in order to seat the valves.

There is very little doubt in my mind that the shop that "cleaned" your carbs just did a cursory job. Ask them if they ultrasoniced the carbs, replaced the ACV valves, replaced the O rings in the idle needle hole, and pulled the emulsion tubes from under the jets. (both of them). What did they charge for this "cleaning"? To do a proper job, requires a ultrasonic cleaner, some specific size drill bits, a couple of good screwdrivers, a can of carb cleaner, 8 hours dedicated to the task, and someone who has personal interest in the outcome.

looks like Ill take them off again and bring them back to the shop

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
I think a lot of people, when they clean these carbs remove the rubber plugs from the idle jet tower and try blowing air into the tower,,the air blows through so they think the idle jet/circuit is clear. What they fail to realize is that there is a small hole from the idle jet stack to the main jet stack and the air is blowing through it and not through the idle circuit so they wrongly assume the idle jet is clear.

Carb cleaning

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
How do you feel about taking the carbs off and cleaning them yourself? If you can remove the carbs from the bike, you have the mechanical skills to clean them. Read through Allan's link and see what you think. A ultrasonic is nice, but there are work-arounds for that. We will be here to help answer questions and walk you through any gray areas you have a problem with.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.