Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At warm idle it wants to sit at 2500 or 3000. The idle adjuster doesn't have any effect. When warm riding it doesn't want to drop down past 3500 or 4000 between gears, until it has load from the trans.

I won't have a chance to work on her again till next weekend so, I'm trying to come up with a few tests and possibilities.

My vacuum hose on the right carb is hooked up to the appropriate plug on the petcock. (reference) CX500 GL500 650 Global ? View topic - Vacuum Petcock Hose Connections
I sprayed some flammable lubricant on the carbs where they connect to the airbox and intake of the motor, with no effect . I'm thinking my next move is going to be pulling out the carbs and bench-syncing them. If thats no good, then cleaning them....

Any other ideas will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
How long have you owned the bike? What history do you know?

Do you know if the carbs have been split? If they have been split, they're not self aligning. (This was an error I have done.)

Another thing is lack of slack in the throttle cable which is holding the throttle open.

A bad diaphragm in the petcock can cause additional fuel to be given to the engine.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've had the bike a couple weeks now. From what I understand, it has done some sitting. The carbs were "just at the shop" but, I don't know what was done. It has 75,000 miles.

So, no, I don't know if the carbs were split.

I will take a look at the throttle cables soon to see if thats the culprit.

How would I test for a bad petcock diaphragm?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I've had the bike a couple weeks now. From what I understand, it has done some sitting. The carbs were "just at the shop" but, I don't know what was done. It has 75,000 miles.

So, no, I don't know if the carbs were split.

I will take a look at the throttle cables soon to see if thats the culprit.

How would I test for a bad petcock diaphragm?
There would be fuel in the vacuum line from the engine. Fuel might also drip out of the vacuum port on the petcock.

Did you have the carbs at the shop or was this something the previous owner did?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
There would be fuel in the vacuum line from the engine. Fuel might also drip out of the vacuum port on the petcock.

Did you have the carbs at the shop or was this something the previous owner did?
Previous owner

I wouldn't count on them being clean!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The petcock diaphragm is not leaking. I will check the throttle cables tonight.

"I wouldn't count on them being clean!" ha-ha, right? That'll be my next move if it's not the cables.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The throttle cables weren't hooked up right. The throttle return, safety throttle (what ever) was hooked to the choke. So it was running full choke all the time.

Thanks for the help! This forum is the greatest!!

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
The throttle cables weren't hooked up right. The throttle return, safety throttle (what ever) was hooked to the choke. So it was running full choke all the time.

:blink:

·
Registered
4,035 Posts

:eek:

You're welcome! Glad you were able to get it figured out!

What was the choke cable hooked up to?

Watch out for other things like this on that bike! Hopefully this is the only thing like that!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The choke was hooked up to the throttle return/ safety spot.

Tune up supplies and tires should be here any day. I'm very excited to start rolling this beast around!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts