Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not believe how many cracks were in the back side of the fan!! I will post some pics when I get home but funniest part is that the front looked totally fine, just like the new fan. The backside told the story though! I would encourage everyone to pull their fan and check the backside!

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,i check my wifes every year
you know,just to make sure all is well

good call though,ill bet not many of us do it,me included

You are a good man Senior Bandit...I am sure your wife appreciates the extra efforts

Pretty straight forward. I could have probably removed the fan without pulling the radiator completely back, but I didn't want to risk damaging it with a slipped wrench or something.

I purchased a wheel stud as I mentioned, and I cut off the non-threaded tip, ground it smooth, and also ground an 18mm Hex onto the round end--pretty proud of myself as I eye-balled that one.

I only had the impact gun set to like 35lbs...it took nothing to pop it off. There was barely enough pressure/flow to turn the gun.

I cleaned up the spindle with some 400 grit. I might go ahead and remove the plastic from the old fan flange to just see what is under there.

Again, I was amazed at how much cracking was on the inside of the fan, but it was undetectable from a quick visual of the front flange.

here is the old on the left, new on the right...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[EDIT]

the benefits of an increased frequency of checking the backside as mentioned above are self-explanatory

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.