Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I could not believe how many cracks were in the back side of the fan!! I will post some pics when I get home but funniest part is that the front looked totally fine, just like the new fan. The backside told the story though! I would encourage everyone to pull their fan and check the backside!

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
I could not believe how many cracks were in the back side of the fan!! I will post some pics when I get home but funniest part is that the front looked totally fine, just like the new fan. The backside told the story though! I would encourage everyone to pull their fan and check the backside!
Rick,i check my wifes every year
you know,just to make sure all is well

good call though,ill bet not many of us do it,me included

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rick,i check my wifes every year
you know,just to make sure all is well

good call though,ill bet not many of us do it,me included

You are a good man Senior Bandit...I am sure your wife appreciates the extra efforts

Pretty straight forward. I could have probably removed the fan without pulling the radiator completely back, but I didn't want to risk damaging it with a slipped wrench or something.

I purchased a wheel stud as I mentioned, and I cut off the non-threaded tip, ground it smooth, and also ground an 18mm Hex onto the round end--pretty proud of myself as I eye-balled that one.

I only had the impact gun set to like 35lbs...it took nothing to pop it off. There was barely enough pressure/flow to turn the gun.

I cleaned up the spindle with some 400 grit. I might go ahead and remove the plastic from the old fan flange to just see what is under there.

Again, I was amazed at how much cracking was on the inside of the fan, but it was undetectable from a quick visual of the front flange.

here is the old on the left, new on the right...

·
Registered
967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
[EDIT]

the benefits of an increased frequency of checking the backside as mentioned above are self-explanatory

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.