Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello my name is Pieter and I'm working on my CX500C for more than a year already.

I am a father of two sons and working as an Agile Coach. My father had a metal sawing factory where I played a lot with grinding and welding so that why I had the confidence to start on this project.

It turned out to be hard and I'm a long way ahead but not there yet....

This is the bike how I bought it 5-6 years ago.
CX500C.jpg

This is how to bike looked like when I started the customization project
CX500C second round.jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
My plan was to create a single seated monoshock bike so I will dump lots of pictures I took during the process. Feedback is welcome to improve the design but more important my safety.

Getting the bike apart
Motor (1).jpg

First experiments with a Sportster rear fender. This will not survive until the end of the build ;-)
Motor (9).jpg

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Start to figure out how and where to put the new springs.

Springs I found where to weak so replaced it with a heavy CB1000 spring

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Started to work on my rear fender

First created a pile of strips

Then bend them arround my tire to get the right curve

Then bend the last peice of the strip in the vise

Then push them over one another and weld them together

Them bend them over the tire and weld the sides

Put some tubes on the tire to get the right amout of spacing

Final step is that I created the support for the fender

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Got the engine out and the front of so the frame, fender and so on can go to a professional welder to create a solid solution.

If you got any feedback let me know ;-).

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm liking what I see here dude! Keep up the great work!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Added some improvements to strengthen my rear end of the bike based on the monoshock thread of CXResurrection.

Send the frame to the welder now will take some weeks so will start to paint the enigne.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pulled of my radiator and motor mount. Next step is cleaning it up and painting it as well as the engine.

Any tips on cleaning the engine for painting?

·
Registered
47 Posts
We'll have to take them out. When they are ready. When is yours expectred to be ready? I am lathing and milling the last parts for the front and then it is of to powdercoat and paint. Also want to paint the engine. Perhaps we can combine some things and save some €

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We'll have to take them out. When they are ready. When is yours expectred to be ready? I am lathing and milling the last parts for the front and then it is of to powdercoat and paint. Also want to paint the engine. Perhaps we can combine some things and save some €
Frame is to welder now. Will take some time. Painting my engine myself now. When my frame is back I will send it to powdercoat don't know when that will happen. I think in a few months from now.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts