Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. im in the midst of building a 1981 CX500 Custom cafe racer and im stopped dead in my tracks trying to figure out what to do with my seat. i really like slim/minimalist seats (1 seaters) but im having trouble building a good seat pan as i do not have access to welding equipment. i love the idea of skateboard-seats but im unable to use one because of the shape of my frame. i still have the whole back end of my frame and cannot decide if i should lop it off and keep my current make-shift seat on. also ive been considering cutting down my stock seat pan and reusing the materials from the stock seat. any ideas?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Soon enough i will be in the same boat as you. I want the slim two-seater look on mine though. I will be doing something similar to this here: http://cx500forum.com/forum/cx-customization-modifications/10927-first-build-79c.html
Looking at the way he did the frame though i'm sure you could get a single rider seat made. I looked around and if i made the seat pan there is a shop nearby that will do the seat (foam, fabric, stitching) for $125 which is pretty cheap and will look much nicer than anything i could come up with. maybe see if there is something similar nearby for you.
For the seat pan i plan on making just a flat sheet of steel with two L-brackets sticking out on the bottom (either bolted in or riveted in) to attach to the frame somewhere. I thought about cutting down my stock seat too but i wouldn't be able to get the look i wanted with it anyways.

Oh yeah, welcome to the forum :D

Reactions: xXGuAcAXx

·
Registered
64 Posts
I'd say cut the unneeded tail section off if you like the minimalist and single rider approach. I recently didn't the same thing and it was very easy. I thought it was going to be a difficult job, but I had mine cut and sanded down smooth in about an hour.

Good luck on whichever route you decide to go!

·
Registered
387 Posts
Now, this is a 78 standard and it's going to be used as a base for a tracker seat, but the idea is pretty much what you're describing. Plus,you're not chopping off the frame's rigidity... Auto part Engine Automotive engine part Vehicle

Reactions: Motomicah

·
Registered
940 Posts

This is what I did to my 78 using an eBay seat from Vietnam...

It's still a work in progress, but it would be really easy to chop it off and start over, so my advice is don't worry about it, just make a plan and execute it. You might have to redo some things but it's all part of the process. Have fun with it!

Reactions: yngliver and Thomas

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do you have a link to that seat on eBay? It looks great.

This is what I did to my 78 using an eBay seat from Vietnam...

It's still a work in progress, but it would be really easy to chop it off and start over, so my advice is don't worry about it, just make a plan and execute it. You might have to redo some things but it's all part of the process. Have fun with it!

·
Registered
940 Posts
Yep. :D I'm fairly satisfied with the one I got, it's not the greatest seat ever, but it's well made and it fits perfectly. One mistake I made was repeatedly fitting it while I was fabricating the rear hoop and I cut up the faux leather a bit on the front. All I needed to do was take a flap disc to the front bracket and it stopped the damage from continuing. On the stock seat there's nothing there to cut into, so its not Honda's fault or an oversight, but something I wish I'd caught sooner.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I like the skateboard! Cool idea, I've heard of it, but it looks better than I thought. The tires are Shinkos. No problems with them, but I only have a couple hundred miles on them. I like the way they handle, and they look right on the bike, to me, anyway! Time will tell how they hold up.

Shinko 712 Series Tire - Rear - 120/90-18 , Position: Rear, Tire Size: 120/90-18, Rim Size: 18, Tire Ply: 4, Load Rating: 65, Speed Rating: H, Tire Ty
Sold by: Chaparral Motorsports

Shinko 712 Front Tire - 110/90H-19/--
Sold by: Chaparral Motorsports

·
Registered
285 Posts
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Fuel tank
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car
I was where you are at a few weeks ago. I went ahead and chopped the frame and made a set pan from 1/8" aluminum plate and two pieces of aluminum angle. I don't weld but I can cut sand drill and tap with the best of them. The angles filled the awkward shape below the pan (cut to fit). I added foam from a couple of gardening kneeling pads from Walmart and shaped with a saber saw (an electric carving knife is supposed to be the tool of choice). I used double sided tape to stick the foam to the pan (two layers for comfort) and covered the seat completely with a foam sheet (actually a yoga mat). This all sufficed for a few weeks...then I bought a seat from Viet Nam. So the moral of the story is have fun and don't worry, you can always change your mind.
The biggest decision is whether to modify your frame or not. A lot of the seats available require frame modification but some don't. After I got my seat I had to chop some more. I had to chop just before the cross brace that the standard seat mounts to. I was concerned about the frame rigidity so I added a cross brace (bolted in between the frame through the bolt holes just behind the shock mounts). I later found my wheel would rub this brace when I hit a good bump in the road so I adjusted my shocks to the stiffest setting (seems ok now).
Back to the seat...the website is motorcycleseatsdirect.com
They have many options for the CX500. If the description says "modified seat pan" then the frame will need modification. There are a few seats on this site that do not require you to modify your frame. If you have any doubt just email them...they are very responsive if you have questions.
Ride on,
Greg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
View attachment 13099 View attachment 13098 I was where you are at a few weeks ago. I went ahead and chopped the frame and made a set pan from 1/8" aluminum plate and two pieces of aluminum angle. I don't weld but I can cut sand drill and tap with the best of them. The angles filled the awkward shape below the pan (cut to fit). I added foam from a couple of gardening kneeling pads from Walmart and shaped with a saber saw (an electric carving knife is supposed to be the tool of choice). I used double sided tape to stick the foam to the pan (two layers for comfort) and covered the seat completely with a foam sheet (actually a yoga mat). This all sufficed for a few weeks...then I bought a seat from Viet Nam. So the moral of the story is have fun and don't worry, you can always change your mind.
The biggest decision is whether to modify your frame or not. A lot of the seats available require frame modification but some don't. After I got my seat I had to chop some more. I had to chop just before the cross brace that the standard seat mounts to. I was concerned about the frame rigidity so I added a cross brace (bolted in between the frame through the bolt holes just behind the shock mounts). I later found my wheel would rub this brace when I hit a good bump in the road so I adjusted my shocks to the stiffest setting (seems ok now).
Back to the seat...the website is motorcycleseatsdirect.com
They have many options for the CX500. If the description says "modified seat pan" then the frame will need modification. There are a few seats on this site that do not require you to modify your frame. If you have any doubt just email them...they are very responsive if you have questions.
Ride on,
Greg

thanks a lot, very helpful!! :)

·
Registered
401 Posts
Ok I'll ask in a more understandable way this time. I see in your avatar that you are from Missouri. Where exactly are you located? I have a garage,welder and tools. If your close we can meet up and we can do some work.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Oh snap your not to terribly far from me. I make a few trips up to STL as often as I can my GF's sister lives in Chesterfield and I know a few people all around the area. Next time I'm in the area I'll send you a pm.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.