Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to rebuild these old twin shocks?In the final stages of the restoration and the rear shocks look old and tired...trying to keep the full original chrome look.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Even though they can be taken apart there is no listing for the parts inside the dampener. I wouldn't even waste my time. I'm sure good looking ones can be found at a decent price.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Installed a set of Progressive Heavy Duty 13 in Shocks.. Work Awesome.. model 412-4212C chrome Heavy Duty for large rider & 2 up with gear riding..

Standard shock... 412-4211C

·
Registered
50 Posts
Probably least expensive route is looking for barely used sportster shocks.
Sportster shock will work.. they will lower your bike by one or two inches... most sportster shocks are 12 in or 11 inch on the lows.

Will work with the proper spacers. They are also sprung differently....

( I have tried a pair of 11 inch shocks pulled from my 08 sportster xl low and the progressives ride much better.)

Replaced the stock 11 in sportster shocks with new 12 in progressive's Heavy Duty. also..

The stocks we bottoming out on the XL low with 2 up..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Is it possible to rebuild these old twin shocks?In the final stages of the restoration and the rear shocks look old and tired...trying to keep the full original chrome look.
I have the progressive shocks also, they look real nice and handle quite well and they are specificly designed for the cx geometry and weight.

I think the Harley shocks would be a bit stiff.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.