Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I'm Pedro from Portugal and I'm new around here.
I'm considering getting an early 79 CX 500, with almost 60.000 kms, or maybe an early 78 model with more or less 35.000 kms, for a transformation project. Both look in good shape. The beautiful engine and frame and its claimed reliability are the main reasons why I'm choosing a CX. It's a getting a little bit expensive to buy one as it's becoming a real favorite for custom shops. In Portugal the cheapest one I've seen costs 1.500 euros.

What's the main points I should check? I've read about the cam tensioner issue on 78/79 models that had a recall. Not sure if it was global. What else?

I really appreciate your time and help!

Cheers,
Pedro
:rolleyes:

·
Super Moderator
11,452 Posts
Hi Pedro, welcome to THE resource for these bikes. The WIKI we put together (see link below) has a tip section for things to look for when buying. The recall issue for the cam chain tensioner was only applicable to the early run of 78's, and that data is in the WIKI too. I'm also not sure if the recall was global, but if the serial numbers of the engine fall in the range listed in the recall, it should be still an active action they must make good on. The recall does not expire.

I'm not real good on metric conversions, but either bike might be close to a new cam chain just for good measure, which is not a problem to do. And the price doesn't sound too bad really, depending on the overall conditions.

The CX is a good platform bike, and with the help of this forum, should prove a worthy choice. Worldwide support is here.

Joel in the Couve

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Ditto to what Ramprat said, Pedro. I love that name- "Pedro from Portugal"- sounds like a bad guy in a James Bond Movie, or "The Married Wife's Favorite Pool Boy When the Husband isn't around" ;)

Now, seriously- when you say "transformation project" what kind of project are you thinking? Are you thinking about making a car out of it? Add a sidecar? I've even been told a few people have used the powerplants for small aircraft. (the motor weighs around 280 pounds yet produces almost 50HP- very efficient)

OK- I'm done dithering. Would you be kind enough to expand on what you're considering doing? Right now, we'd be guessing on what you want to do. But I'll hazard a guess anyway- I will guess you're thinking of something along the line of a cafe' street racer?

I apologize- I should have followed up on the $1500 euro's part. That's just a tad shy of $2050.00 American. That's a bit steep I feel for a bike without pictures for us to see and the first bike with 37250 miles, and the second bike with 21800 miles? I'm guessing here Pedro but the bike with 60KM's on it I feel is worth roughly 375/400 Euro's- because you have no idea how the bikes been taken care of. It could be a great garage treasure or maybe it never had its oil change and its stator is completely burnt up from oil residue.

Right now I suggest you make lots of notes, take lots of pictures, ask lots of questions and we'll do what we can to help. Oh- and don't ever fall in love with a bike or you'll pay too much. (I've done that to a LOT of things that defy common sense- learn from my mistakes) Enclosed is a picture of my favorite rifle- its worth about $200 dollars. I paid $900 to have it completely restored to its 1948 factory condition. Of course, now I can't find the picture :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Ramprat!
Thanks Trailltrader! ;)

Yes, the "transformation" project is for a café street racer. Something like this:

Moto-Mucci: DAILY INSPIRATION: 1981 Honda CX500 "Howler" by Nathan Godillon

I don't have many photos on the 79 CX. See them below. This bike's price is 2.000 euros. I will see the bike live soon but so far, all I know is what the dealer told me: the CX had 1 owner (who let it go in exchange for a scooter because of its 82 years of age - hope to still be riding at this age...) and it seems to be in good shape in terms of maintenance. Here in Portugal there aren't many CX's. Right now there's 3 of them, and they cost around 3.000 euros!!!! I also look for an import from Germany and the bike itself would cost me 1.000 euros only, but the legalization process + transport + service would cost me an extra 1.000.

honda-cx-500-classica-53798.jpg honda-cx-500-classica-65410.jpg

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Well, the CX series bike is probably one of the most popular for doing conversions- and its engine size of 496CC puts it right there in the Cafe' engine size.

For some of us armchair riders (If its cold, wet OR cold AND wet I don't ride) you've provided a puzzle. So I went to Craigslist using Chrome and auto translate into Portuguese looking for any CX bikes. Apparently they're a rare bike in your nation- in fact, ANY bikes seem to be rare as I only found 2 bikes, both BMW's (2005 and 2009) in the entire country. So then I went to Spain and started looking around and didn't find anything either- since I am literally on the other side of the planet and not familiar with your language thats probably not surprising. May I suggest you go to www.craigslist.com and look around the neighboring countries for bikes and parts?

This opens up a whole new can of questions- will you be able to get parts? How about the ability to maintain the bike once you get it? Here in the United States and some places around the world these bikes are very common- but from what I've been able to research they seem to be a mite rare where you're at- will this be a long term problem?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts