Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
I thought it was something to do with the alphabetical parts designation of a plastic part on it ..or maybe that was a urban myth... ??

·
Super Moderator
23,741 Posts
Apparently a model designation for a motoguzzi was CX100. Guzzis apparently have the nickname maggot in some places - probably because of the initials MG.

As referred to by Bahn the CX picked up the name plastic maggot due to the amount of plastic used.

Sidecovers, maggot mask, rear guard and radiator surround.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
As referred to by Bahn the CX picked up the name plastic maggot due to the amount of plastic used.

Sidecovers, maggot mask, rear guard and radiator surround.
That's my understanding of the 'Maggot' moniker. I seem to remember bike journos back at the time of the CX's launch commenting on the amount of plastic parts used compared to the outgoing CB550 and the rest of the Honda range, with their chrome and black painted parts (yet the CX still had those...). The later CX models and the Customs were less 'plastic' in appearance - maybe Honda took note.

·
Registered
402 Posts
No one has ever called it a maggot to my face. But then, most of it's life in my ownership it has had a fairing on the front, which does somewhat change it's appearance...

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
No one has ever called it a maggot to my face. But then, most of it's life in my ownership it has had a fairing on the front, which does somewhat change it's appearance...
Agree...not so much now...
I more experience..(quoted)."i had one of those"....to "the best bike Honda made...they took a motoguzzi and watercooled it"...
Maybe the maggot detracters are less prominent these days...

Tho i did have some one refer to the Cx as the famous "widow maker"...got their 500cc bikes confused😃😆

·
Registered
402 Posts
You see, this is half the reason I don't go to meets or anything (although I have started frequenting the 'local' MZ rider's club in Bristol), because I am sick to the back teeth of people spouting out things they heard their dogs dad say as 'facts' and not think to challenge such queer and obviously incorrect comments themselves. These are where myths are borne and I try and kill them as soon as someone comes over to me saying "MZ's were never meant to idle", or "Honda's are bulletproof". No. Absolutely not. You're full of rubbish!

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
@Blurredman Dunno if i've aggrevated you.. if so apologies....:confused:

Me i got too many things happening to be too stressed about what others say/think....kids, life realities and sweating the last 2 weeks on medical results....
These and other forums have lost talent/good contributors cause people get pi**ed off....so hoping you continue to chime in......

·
Registered
402 Posts
@Blurredman Dunno if i've aggrevated you.. if so apologies....:confused:

Me i got too many things happening to be too stressed about what others say/think....kids, life realities and sweating the last 2 weeks on medical results....
These and other forums have lost talent/good contributors cause people get pi**ed off....so hoping you continue to chime in......
Not at all :) My words have no malace here, though they do seem loaded looking back at them...

Reactions: richnct and bahn88

·
Registered
standard cx500 1980
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well this is my 4th cx i'v had two custom & two standard cx500s got the latest over the winter time and slowly done it up at enormous expense. but the first one i got was not long after passing my test on a rd250 early 80s, remember the day i picked it up it was pissing it down but i was hooked. but back then in the 80s more people seamed to call them plastic maggot, i think over the years the name has slowly died off. it just seems to be one or two of the older generation that mentions it now. this is a pick of my latest, will get it all re-sprayed next winter (red)
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

·
Registered
402 Posts
Nice bike- not being funny though, why re-spray it? Looks perfectly good to me! Look at mine! Notice how the tank has places where there is bare metal.. Where my legs/knees constantly rub off any rust that does appear in that area 🤣 🤣

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Bicycle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
Lol...suppose i need to post my original paint/steampunk....
Are the tank badges inversed cause the north hemisphere is "upside down"?

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
well this is my 4th cx i'v had two custom & two standard cx500s got the latest over the winter time and slowly done it up at enormous expense. but the first one i got was not long after passing my test on a rd250 early 80s, remember the day i picked it up it was pissing it down but i was hooked. but back then in the 80s more people seamed to call them plastic maggot, i think over the years the name has slowly died off. it just seems to be one or two of the older generation that mentions it now. this is a pick of my latest, will get it all re-sprayed next winter (red) View attachment 213489
WOW! What a really nice looking bike. You have the dual disc up front too! (y)

Reactions: bike kid

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Yeah, but in the US we have reasonable shipping rates, cheap insurance, no MOT and lots of low mileage low cost used bikes. I can remedy the single disk issue! 😁. (This is only an attempt at humor, no malice intended. 😉)

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yeah, but in the US we have reasonable shipping rates, cheap insurance, no MOT and lots of low mileage low cost used bikes. I can remedy the single disk issue! 😁. (This is only an attempt at humor, no malice intended. 😉)
You might have reasonable shipping rates within the US, but not for export or import! As for no annual inspections, judging from the many YouTube US workshop videos I've seen, that's pretty damn obvious ! ;)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts