Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't start my bike for around 5 months, and it had a half full gas tank the whole time. Now it won't start. Anyone got any ideas as to why it won't start or how to fix it? It was working fine before.

·
Registered
313 Posts
First off, HI and Welcome to the Group!!!!!

Dont forget to update your location, and cycle model and year in you user profile (subtle differences)

The new blended gas we have sucks and can clog the tiny passages in the carb by sitting in only a few months... (obviously)

Figured you would have at least one side fire if it was a carb...

So, on the easy first check.... and to diagnose if the fuel, vacumm, or petcock is the problem

1. remove fuel line from carb

2. drain fuel tank into "approved container", and save,.. mixing it with fresh gas later should be ok...

3. reconnect fuel line.

4. put 'some' fresh gas into the tank, ..

5. drain the carb bowls

(remember the tank on / off / reserve petcock should keep fuel from draining from tank, engine's not working so no vacumm)

6. now crank over engine and see if new fuel will eventually flow through... ( ? )

( you could pull the spark plug wires if your worried about draining fuel on a possibly running engine)

7. close carb bowl drains.

8. crank to see if bowls fill and then engine fires

of course working the choke, petcock, and throttle during these sequences could loosen a clog...

if those check good, then consider on removing the carbs as a set and cleaning.

it's and easy job i've heard, but havent done these styles yet...

Tim

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
Like said.

Drain the carbs.

Top off the tank.

Hook the battery up to either a charger or a vehicle that isn't running.

And crank away. It should start.

Never trust gas over a week old if it's in the carbs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your replies! I am going to try what you said.

I have a 1980 CX500. I do not know much about motorcycles, and I am learning every day. In order to drain the carbs, do they have to be removed? I have a service manual that I will look to for some additional help.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
Thanks for your replies! I am going to try what you said.

I have a 1980 CX500. I do not know much about motorcycles, and I am learning every day. In order to drain the carbs, do they have to be removed? I have a service manual that I will look to for some additional help.
no,dont take them off.use a flat bladed screwdriver.on the left hand side,right at the bottom you will see one screw for each carb.undo these screws and hopefully,all the old fuel will drain out.

welcome from spain

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts
You can see it in this picture down in the lower left. Each carb body has one on it so you may need a longer screwdriver to do it. Mine must be 12 inches long.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
You can see it. Each body has one.. may need a ££££ to do it. Mine must be 12 inches long.
your soooo lucky.lol

i suppose thats what comes with promotion

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.