Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help please, bought my first cx500c a couple of weeks ago and it started without any problems at all. Now,for some unknown reason it has decided it doesn't want to start on the starter and will only run if 'bump'started! I can wind till the battery goes flat but she will not fire. There seems to be no lack of power when running and the valve clearances are ok. I put a spare spark plug in the ht leads and earthed it to the head and there is no spark. Can a fault develop in the clutch lever circuit that allows it to start in gear with the clutch held in? I am at a loss and any help will be gratefully received.

Many thanks James, in England

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
james,a warm[bleeding hot] welcome from spain.

spend a few minutes and update your signiture line,include your location within the uk,and your bikes details.

there is possibly not much wrong with your bike

your battery is how old....?

can you fire it up from jump leads to a car battery?.....

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
james,a warm[bleeding hot] welcome from spain.

spend a few minutes and update your signiture line,include your location within the uk,and your bikes details.

there is possibly not much wrong with your bike

your battery is how old....?

can you fire it up from jump leads to a car battery?.....

Hello Bandit, thanks for the quick reply. Will sort out my profile shortly, have never used a forum before so its a steep learning curve. I live in Clitheroe in Lancashire where its now raining!

Bike is a 500 custom, ebay special! Got it home put a brand new battery on her and she fired up instantly. Got it through MOT and road legal and started to enjoy it. I had to stop after hitting a bird on the way home from work on sunday morning and,after I got sorted, it would not start, bumped it off and it's been the same since!

It will not start even with Jump leads, it just winds over. When she's running there is about 14.5 volts going into the battery.

Dont think the bird did any damage, it flew off when i poked it!!

Cheers James

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Help please, bought my first cx500c a couple of weeks ago and it started without any problems at all. Now,for some unknown reason it has decided it doesn't want to start on the starter and will only run if 'bump'started! I can wind till the battery goes flat but she will not fire. There seems to be no lack of power when running and the valve clearances are ok. I put a spare spark plug in the ht leads and earthed it to the head and there is no spark. Can a fault develop in the clutch lever circuit that allows it to start in gear with the clutch held in? I am at a loss and any help will be gratefully received.

Many thanks James, in England

James

Welcome to CX land!

Okay....the valve cover isn't a good place to put a sparkplug to test for spark because it's not a good ground. Try another location on the engine.

I wonder if your starter is going out and taking too many amps and taking power away from the ignition?

Please post your year and model of your CX. They are differences through the production run.

I too would like to know what happens when you put on jumper cables and try to start it.

How old is your battery? It could be getting weak. Have you checked the water in it?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
In addition to Bandit's questions, does your neutral & oil pressure light come on? How about the headlight when you turn the key to on? Try to unplug the black wire with white strip from the CDI and see if that makes a difference. Also unplug the 3 yellow wire connector between the stator and voltage regulator and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
In addition to Bandit's questions, does your neutral & oil pressure light come on? How about the headlight when you turn the key to on? Try to unplug the black wire with white strip from the CDI and see if that makes a difference. Also unplug the 3 yellow wire connector between the stator and voltage regulator and see if that makes a difference.
Blue,would the black/white wire have a relevance,if it bump starts easy?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I'm not sure, Bandit. That will take the kill switch out of the system, there is something strange going on. I can't visualize what would would keep the bike from battery starting, but will "bump" start. The odd thing is that he doesn't have a spark on battery start, but obviously does on "bump". I thought you might be on to something as to a weak battery not spinning it fast enough, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
.... The odd thing is that he doesn't have a spark on battery start, but obviously does on "bump".....

I believe he grounded the plug to the valve cover.....is that a good ground?

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Can a fault develop in the clutch lever circuit that allows it to start in gear with the clutch held in?

They're supposed to do that

what year?

It would help to know for sure if its a CDI or TI bike

a quick look at the very rear of the engine will tell

if it has a flattish pressed steel plate its CDI

If it has a domed alloy cover its TI

also how many discs does it have on the front wheel?

2 UK spec, 1 US spec/import.

when you try to start it on the button does it crank over quickly?

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Also unplug the 3 yellow wire connector between the stator and voltage regulator and see if that makes a difference.

Do as Blue Fox suggested here, this problem has come up a few times now.

Look for the 3 yellow wire plug under the seat and unplug it,,then try starting with the starter.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
James

Welcome to CX land!

Okay....the valve cover isn't a good place to put a sparkplug to test for spark because it's not a good ground. Try another location on the engine.

I wonder if your starter is going out and taking too many amps and taking power away from the ignition?

Please post your year and model of your CX. They are differences through the production run.

I too would like to know what happens when you put on jumper cables and try to start it.

How old is your battery? It could be getting weak. Have you checked the water in it?
Hi, I tried to earth the plug on the bolt through the valve cover, but will have another try at getting a better earth. the battery is brand new and fully charged.

The bike is a 82' cx500 custom and could possibly be a American import as the dealer name on the licence plate suggests. I like your idea about the starter as it looks a bit battered! cheers james

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
If your bike is an 82 that is a Transistorized ignition (TI).

The plug with the 3 yellow wires is not under the seat on your bike,,it would be plugged into the regulator/rectifier under the left sidecover.

I am not sure if this will make a difference on a TI bike, but it might, I seem to remember it happening once on a TI bike.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Hi, I tried to earth the plug on the bolt through the valve cover, but will have another try at getting a better earth. the battery is brand new and fully charged.

The bike is a 82' cx500 custom and could possibly be a American import as the dealer name on the licence plate suggests. I like your idea about the starter as it looks a bit battered! cheers james

Here are some links that may help you.....(you may have already been to them)

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/16-quick-reference/

This one (starter repair) is included with the one above...

http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=208

Another CX forum: http://globalcxglvtwins.hostingdelivered.com/index.php

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Can a fault develop in the clutch lever circuit that allows it to start in gear with the clutch held in?

They're supposed to do that

what year?

It would help to know for sure if its a CDI or TI bike

a quick look at the very rear of the engine will tell

if it has a flattish pressed steel plate its CDI

If it has a domed alloy cover its TI

also how many discs does it have on the front wheel?

2 UK spec, 1 US spec/import.

when you try to start it on the button does it crank over quickly?
Hi, its got the pressed steel plate and two disk's up front. I would need to hear another one start to compare cranking speed, but I would'nt say it was struggling. Cheers james

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If your bike is an 82 that is a Transistorized ignition (TI).

The plug with the 3 yellow wires is not under the seat on your bike,,it would be plugged into the regulator/rectifier under the left sidecover.

I am not sure if this will make a difference on a TI bike, but it might, I seem to remember it happening once on a TI bike.
Hi Allan, as Reg has advised I think the engine may not be the original as it has the pressed steel cover over the ignition!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I wonder if it is a 81, registered as a 82? Under the left side cover, are there two metal boxes about 1-1/2" wide by 2" high that say NEC on them? That would also be a identifying mark for a TI ignition.

·
Registered
4,102 Posts
Hi, its got the pressed steel plate and two disk's up front.

Sounds like a typical UK C with a CDI.

CDI bikes need a good cranking speed to fire up, it should spin over smartly when

the button is pressed at say 4-5 times second

Good battery, starter motor, solenoid, contacts and earthing is essential for this

regular stator checks are advised as well.

Where/when did you buy it Jimmy?

does it have a 2-1 exhaust?

got a pic?

you never know I might know the bike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Neutral light works ok, but i need to check the bulb on the oil light as I havn't seen it lit yet. Will unplug the wires tomorrow and see what happens. Cheers James

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.