Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a couple of questions that're bugging me: I have an '82 cx500. I love it in just about all respects, I just wish it was a bit more powerful. How does it stack up against a cx650 custom? I've read a load of reviews and the like on the Internet, but has anyone out there ridden both enough to be able to answer that properly? Added to that, how does the 650 Eurosport turbo compare to the 650 custom, and how different are the frames between the two?
Thanks,
Bryn

·
Registered
24,137 Posts
the 650 comes in

cx650 custom

cx650 euro

cx650 turbo

gl650

the 650 is geared way higher then a 500 so it uses the extra hp to cruise better they are not that much faster off the line than a 500 but

by the time you hit around 25 they are running away from the 500 and just getting started

the cx650 custom shares not much except the engine with the other 650s

the euro sharss more with the gl then other

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I've owned or ridden 'em all (except the 500E and 500C).

CX500. 'sa'ight. Stock, you want some Larry Carbs (decent performance, great gas mileage).
Performance, get the Murray carbs. Great performance, sucky gas mileage.

GL500. Meh. Heavy. Slow. Not much you can do with it, but it's a solid, reliable runner for a small touring bike.

CX500 Turbo. Slow off the line, then "HOLY SHIT!!!" Surprisingly agile for a top heavy 576lb tank. Must have a fork brace. . . .

CX650C. Fast off the line, pulls like a freight train, most uncomfortable damned bike I have ever ridden in my life (and I have a DRZ400 with the hemorrhoid wrecking stock seat).
Could not wait to sell the damned thing. After any given 100 mile ride, my sciatic nerve usually took a couple of days to recover.

GL650. Everything you wanted in the GL500, but more power. Excellent small touring bike. More maintenance intensive than the 500.

CX650E. Realistically, with the triple tube upper frame and mono shock, it's more like a GL650 sport bike than a CX500. Not as fast as a 650C or a 500 Turbo, the Eurosport is still my favorite of the 650 frames (but not my favorite CX). Carves canyons well, and has a nice top speed.

CX650T. Hands down, best of the CX's (even though it is not my favorite). Great power band, handles exceptionally well for the top heavy pig that it also is. Too expensive to the average person to maintain.

Personal favorite, the 500T.

·
Super Moderator
15,327 Posts
I've owned or ridden 'em all (except the 500E and 500C).

CX650C. Fast off the line, pulls like a freight train, most uncomfortable damned bike I have ever ridden in my life (and I have a DRZ400 with the hemorrhoid wrecking stock seat).
Could not wait to sell the damned thing. After any given 100 mile ride, my sciatic nerve usually took a couple of days to recover.
I'll second that. Once did a 1400 mile 4 day trip and couldn't feel my butt for a week. It just hurt.

Now the Gl650 is heaven compared to that but not as light and easy to throw around.

·
Registered
465 Posts
the 650 comes in

cx650 custom

cx650 euro

cx650 turbo

gl650

the 650 is geared way higher then a 500 so it uses the extra hp to cruise better they are not that much faster off the line than a 500 but

by the time you hit around 25 they are running away from the 500 and just getting started

the cx650 custom shares not much except the engine with the other 650s

the euro sharss more with the gl then other
Murray, I've wondered about that; is the higher gearing in the engine output shaft, the final drive or the tranny itself?

·
Registered
481 Posts
i prefer the cx500 to cx650c. although i attribute this mostly to ergonomics than power. i am 6'1 and thing was all but unrideable not matter how soft i set the suspension. Figured out real fast why these people are trying to put the 650 motor in a 500 frame. At the end of the day cx500 FTW. Dont ride my 650 dont miss it either.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting, thanks for all your responses. Here's another question then:
as I understand it, one of the great things about the cx500s is that it's possible to remove one engine relatively easily, and put another in. (That's how it was described in an article - my apologies if that's an oversimplified description!). Is it possible therefore to replace a cx500 engine with a cx500T engine? Does the latter literally just bolt in and all cables and hoses reattach where the former was removed? Are there any other modifications that need to be made to accommodate?
Cheers,
Bryn

·
Registered
465 Posts
MuckyPup, seems to me your best alternative would be a 650 engine and wiring harness with Mikunis (AKA Murrays Carbs) in 500 frame. This is what I eventually want to do as well. I have heard that this does take a bit of work, but is much more feasable and more readily available than 500T. I'm sure that would satisfy any cravings for power you might want.
I thought there was a DIY in the WIKI on the engine swap but can't seem to find it, perhaps I was mistaken?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I have a 1980 CX500 Deluxe with a Vetter Vindicator and a 1983 CX650 Custom with a sport windshield on it. The 500 is more top heavy and short inseam riders will be on their toes. Its a great bike for commuting inside the city but not so good for cross country Interstate highway speeds, it is to me just wound out way too high at any speed over 60mph, like holding a pair of chainsaws. Precisely tuned and balanced you can put up with it with some aftermarket grips. The 650 to me feels better on the highway, its lighter than the 500 though it also has a smaller fuel tank, I love the 650 because it always feels like "Hey man lets go FAST!" type of latent potential.
I always try to look for another 650 when possible. With a larger tank, a good windshield and a trunk or just a pair of soft bags its a go anywhere bike, it also has better features from the start such as electric fan cooling and a better ignition system. The 500 requires eventually to be modified for an E fan, plus the eventual ignition box replacement. But both bikes are of the type I would not just easily sell, they are special and collectible.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So, I read all the comments written above and just had to answer my own question, so I found a cx650c to try out for myself. Answer: lovely engine, fun to ride and had some good oomph to it, but for a guy who's 6 foot, the frame was too small for me and I felt a bit cramped, which I gather was why murrayf - you mentioned being 5 foot 9 or under. I like the idea of a 650 engine being put into a modified 500 frame as troutbum has suggested, but think that will be a down-the-line project, when I have my own garage (not a rented one) where I can set up my own workshop one day. Live the dream!! Anyway, thanks for all your help guys. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
if you are under 5 foot 9 then a cx650 custom with a set of my carbs will put a permanent grin on your face
Hello. When I sit next to someone that is 5'9" We are the same height. I am 6'1". When on my cx500d with feet on pegs the top of my legs are almost parallel with the ground. How different would it be for me to sit on the cx650c? Why is this bike considered uncomfortable?

·
Registered
8,131 Posts
The seat is noticeably lower.
Try this. Sit down on a small child's chair, with your knees in your armpits. Now, stay there for the duration of your typical ride.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts