Honda CX 500 Forum banner

101 - 119 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

Fantastic bike!

Can I ask you what bearing have you used for the forks?

Did the forks required any modifications?

Many thanks

Ale

·
Registered
36 Posts
I had the pleasure of seeing this machine at the NEC Birmingham Bike show, UK back in early December and I'm amazed at how good it looks, brought the old CX back to life and was a center piece - well Done!!

I'm in the process of restoring a CX500 Z, maybe not as a Cafe Racer but with sometning with some changes and would like to get rid of the standard plastic fairing and replace with a pair of clocks & separate headlamp and I think those look really good, I may be wrong but it looks like a Suzuki front end with Bandit clocks but in terms of accuracy I'm not sure how the readings would compare as I the the Bandit has 17inch wheels.

I could just convert to custom clocks and headlight but they seem a bit rare at the moment in the UK

·
Registered
400 Posts
Very clean work. Nice integration of the NT650 parts. I see the rear shock is under the bike (?); The only change I would suggest would be to have a custom exhaust made to route the exhaust together up front and route it under the engine and back up out the way you have it. Have it made out of SS as there are several custom exhaust builders in the UK. It think it would pop (look good) quite nicely.

Jerry

·
Registered
807 Posts
:thumbsup: More pics please.

·
Registered
108 Posts
murrayf.
I'd love to know where you’ve got this information from? Have you built something similar in the past?
I assume that you THINK that the drive shaft is a spiral bevel gear type drive.
...Whereas, the final drive of the NTV650 is a straight cut bevel gear and can be driven in either direction.
And please, please, please don’t start banging on how ALL gears are only hardened on the drive side of the gear. “Most gears are induction hardened using low or medium frequencies and rapidly quenched, resulting in contour-like induction hardening paten though out the gear.”

Making a bold statement like that! We are here to think outside of the box. Do something different.
Otherwise we would all still be sitting in a cave wondering what was on the other side of the valley!
I cannot help but resurrect this thread, having only just found it. This very question came up in another different thread, with no resolution. The big question from both threads is the design/shape of the NTV final drive gears.

If as the OP has stated they are straight cut, then there should be no problem running it in the reverse direction as it WILL do having been swapped side to side. But I have seen no evidence that this is the case. In fact the parts list and Honda's own Service Manual (admittedly for the Deauville, but same units I believe) provide illustrations that indicate the drive gears are spiral bevel type and in the manual there are photos that prove unequivocally that the gears are spiral and NOT straight cut. This would also fit with my experience of how Honda would design such a unit. Ok, I could be wrong and maybe the unit the OP used is indeed straight cut, but all the evidence I have seen indicates this is highly unlikely. So I'd like to ask from where he obtained his information that his FDU uses straight cut gears and if indeed it does, where did it come from as a straight cut FDU would be useful to others wishing to do this mod. Or did the OP replace the original gears with his own straight cut alternatives. But if he did, why not say so.

As it is, I'm inclined to think that in fact the FDU used had spiral gears and it is operating in the reverse direction of rotation than as intended by its original design. Perhaps the OP could comment on this and put our minds at rest.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Dang, this bike!! thread resurrection!! (hopefully) with a little tangent... just found this thread after stumbling upon a picture of this bike online and while i understand the swingarm is mounted upside down bc the hawk is left side drive, I am wondering if the 2015 goldwing 1800 SSSA might be a decent alternative? It is a right hand, shaft drive swing arm. I see a good number of low-mile setups them for sale, prob bc people do trike conversions? while the wheel might be spendy, the swingarm can be had for less than $200. However, I cannot find any dimensions. I dont suppose anyone here has one or knows someone that does? I may have to visit the one i found locally just to see if it is worth even beginning to think about a swap... https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mpo/d/minneapolis-gl-1800-complete-swing-arm/7016381851.html

not sure if this link will work... : https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-gl1800-goldwing-2001-1-usa-swingarm_bighu0396f2800_f5ab.gif

Attachments

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Dang, this bike!! thread resurrection!! (hopefully) with a little tangent... just found this thread after stumbling upon a picture of this bike online and while i understand the swingarm is mounted upside down bc the hawk is left side drive, I am wondering if the 2015 goldwing 1800 SSSA might be a decent alternative? It is a right hand, shaft drive swing arm. I see a good number of low-mile setups them for sale, prob bc people do trike conversions? while the wheel might be spendy, the swingarm can be had for less than $200. However, I cannot find any dimensions. I dont suppose anyone here has one or knows someone that does? I may have to visit the one i found locally just to see if it is worth even beginning to think about a swap... https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mpo/d/minneapolis-gl-1800-complete-swing-arm/7016381851.html

not sure if this link will work... : https://images.cmsnl.com/img/partslists/honda-gl1800-goldwing-2001-1-usa-swingarm_bighu0396f2800_f5ab.gif
I did buy one of the Gold Wing swing arms since it was so cheap on ebay. The unit is much wider than stock easily an inch or more wider, don't remember exactly. My thinking was maybe easiest to just cut a section out of the middle to narrow the unit. For wheels I thought either get a billet ($$$) or adapt a single sided Honda/Ducati wheel designed for single axle use. Another idea that has been done was to use one of the BMW single side arms with the rear drive, and wheel. Still expensive, but possibly more practical. Be sure to share pictures with us.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Dang, this bike!! thread resurrection!! (hopefully) with a little tangent... just found this thread after stumbling upon a picture of this bike online and while i understand the swingarm is mounted upside down bc the hawk is left side drive, I am wondering if the 2015 goldwing 1800 SSSA might be a decent alternative? It is a right hand, shaft drive swing arm. I see a good number of low-mile setups them for sale, prob bc people do trike conversions? while the wheel might be spendy, the swingarm can be had for less than $200. However, I cannot find any dimensions. I dont suppose anyone here has one or knows someone that does?...
I have a GL1800 S/A I could measure, but I can tell you it's big and IMO way too large for the CX. Not just in the actual dimensions, but it's a huge lump. I have it to fit into a Valkyrie and some people consider it too large to look ok even in the Valk. I disagree as I think it'll be fine, but I really think it would not look right in a CX, even if you could get it to fit, which I doubt. Not without a huge amount of work anyway.

One thing to remember is that on all these, the drive is on the opposite side to the majority of Honda Single Sided Swing-Arms. Not that a wheel should care which way it's turning, but there may be other factors. One concern over swapping the Hawk Final Drive Unit to the other side is that it will now be driven in the reverse direction and that is almost certainly not a good idea as they are normally designed to be driven in a certain direction.

I also have a BMW (1100 R or GS or something) S/A loosely mounted in a GL650 frame. Its dimensions and appearance are far more acceptable, but I've not yet worked out its lateral positioning. I've a feeling it will push the wheel too far to one side, but I will have to study that more when I get around to it. It may prove to be the best option however, although finding a suitable wheel may be tricky.

Reactions: edinlr

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
BiKenG - any pictures that you want to share of your mockup?

·
Registered
108 Posts
BiKenG - any pictures that you want to share of your mockup?
Do you mean with the BMW SSS/A? Not really at the moment. It's not a priority project and hence tucked away in the back of the workshop and difficult to get to. I will hopefully gain some storage space in the not too distant future and be able to get better organised. I'll try to do something them.

·
Registered
24,203 Posts
not to rain on anyones parade

ed if you are thinking of this as a alternative for your lsr bike

get therapy

the gs1100 final drive is so bad the nhsta has a opemn investigation on there failures

and the 1100r also has know final drive issue

both also have less horse power than the 650t

i think it will be ok for a stock cx500 even with my carbs

but not your application

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Thanks Murray, I was thinking more for a street bike application. For racing, the stock unit or a chain seem to be reliable methods.

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I was thinking more like something like this to take advantage of an unlimited tire size. The racers in Europe seem to do better with the newer rears. Just an idea.

Attachments

Reactions: almostordinary

·
Registered
748 Posts
That would be cool for sure!

download.gif

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ha, keep that popcorn handy.

I am likely going to do this bike in two stages, one with the monoshock conversion with the stock swingarm.

I haven't ridden a stock CX500, mine came as a lego set from the previous owners that abandoned the project. So I want to get a sense of how it rides with the mods I do.

Then I want to do some physics and geometry and see what I can do to get the monoshock moved over like the BMW K-Bikes have it on the right of the frame.

Then I will see what it takes to get the internals and driveshaft spline to work w the CX500 transmission and the K75 Differential.

101 - 119 of 119 Posts