Honda CX 500 Forum banner

61 - 80 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #61 (Edited)
If you ever get back this way, be sure to say "Hi."

Was this build one of the bikes you shipped home?

R
Randall-in-Mpls

Thanks I will, say Hi that is.
I really enjoyed my time in Minneapolis and would visit again. There was a cool bar on South Second Street called Harry's, it sold the best pint of Guinness!

As for the bike no, it was a bottle of wine, iPad, wake up the next morning......Oh F**k did I buy something last night!

Here is a picture of the stable in the underground car park of the Marrot hotel off second south street, they had a understanding manager!

the stable.jpg

1972 Honda CB500
1976 Kawasaki Z750 B1
1978 Honda CB550
1976 Honda CB550
1976 Yamaha TX500
1978 Yamaha SX650
1981 Kawasaki Z750e
1981 Kawasaki Z1000

PS. you have one of the BEST motorbike scrap yards I have ever been to, down near Jordan. Sportwheel. Have you ever been?
I had to go three times to look around, I was in ore. When I die this is what I hope heven is like!!!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Bike is my new favorite! Absolutely stunning. The only thing it's missing is the mikuni carb setup which really opens the bike up.

Thanks for that.
Would have loved to go that extra mile for the carbs, however money! This baby has cost far too much all ready

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Wow shipped 8 bikes. That would not be cheap. You did some serious chopping to that bike, dang. Cut it half behind the engine. Well I guess if one wants a wider tire, that's what needs to be done. Chopped and widened. But end result looks good.
Thanks again
As you can see in my earlier post what bikes came back to the UK, and yes it cost more than the bikes!

Just shows you that when it comes to bikes, you listen to your heart not your mind!!

·
Registered
8,944 Posts
There was a cool bar on South Second Street called Harry's...
PS. you have one of the BEST motorbike scrap yards I have ever been to, down near Jordan. Sportwheel. Have you ever been?
I haven't been to Harry's or Sportwheels. (Yeah, I don't get out much.) The latter is on my list of things to do, when I have some free time (Ha!)

R

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
Wonderful bike, hope to see your work one of these day. Did all of the swing arm parts line up or did it require you to machine the drive shaft. Im daft figuring rear is the gear rotation the same as the Revere or reversed. Front end looks fab and I love the colours.

Again thanks, mmmmm Pubs.... wish there was some here in Saudi. Oil and gas, is this a job offer?
Hey Mr Maggot, where abouts are you in the UK?

I had to widened the frame by 2 inches and ofset the engine by 6mm to match up the drive shaft.
Rotation......No the bike will do 100mph backwards....LOL
Front end, colours. Thank you.
Okay, Arkansas pubs have to be better than Saudi pubs, but not by much. But our women are prettier and they can drive pickups. As far as a job, unless you want to work with me in a nursing home, you would have to fend for yourself and Saudi probably pays better.

I am still trying to get this rear drive figured out in my head. When I visualize the NVT rear spinning on the left side it goes clockwise, looking from the wheel. When you flipped it over it is turning counterclockwise, from the wheel's view. The rear drive is making contact on the outside of the curved gear, instead of the inside. This is not uncommon in some racecar uses where they flip drives over, just curious. Have you had any issues? Since that drive handled the early Goldwings, I doubt there were issues with a 500, but I am thinking out loud for use on a turbo. The rear gears on the NVT are 2.9:1 so it could raise the top end if you have the hp to pull it. It looks very nice.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks, any pictures in particual?
I would think everyone here would like to see a complete build thread posted here.

Final pics are outstanding. The teasers make us beg for more.

All these comments and praise is a real tribute to your skill and vision. I applaud you and your talent.

Stan

edit: Couldn't wait, so I registered at DO THE TON to see the pics. (Here would still be nice)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #68 (Edited)
ed
running the gears so they put pressure on the crown and not the root will result in rapid catastrophic failure
murrayf.
I'd love to know where you’ve got this information from? Have you built something similar in the past?
I assume that you THINK that the drive shaft is a spiral bevel gear type drive.
See pictured below.
Similar to this
spiral bevel gear.jpg

Whereas, the final drive of the NTV650 is a straight cut bevel gear and can be driven in either direction.
See picture below.
Again similar to this
stright cut bevel gear.jpg

And please, please, please don’t start banging on how ALL gears are only hardened on the drive side of the gear. “Most gears are induction hardened using low or medium frequencies and rapidly quenched, resulting in contour-like induction hardening paten though out the gear.”

Making a bold statement like that! We are here to think outside of the box. Do something different.
Otherwise we would all still be sitting in a cave wondering what was on the other side of the valley!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
Wonderful bike, hope to see your work one of these day. Did all of the swing arm parts line up or did it require you to machine the drive shaft. Im daft figuring rear is the gear rotation the same as the Revere or reversed. Front end looks fab and I love the colours.

Again thanks, mmmmm Pubs.... wish there was some here in Saudi. Oil and gas, is this a job offer?

Okay, Arkansas pubs have to be better than Saudi pubs, but not by much. But our women are prettier and they can drive pickups. As far as a job, unless you want to work with me in a nursing home, you would have to fend for yourself and Saudi probably pays better.

I am still trying to get this rear drive figured out in my head. When I visualize the NVT rear spinning on the left side it goes clockwise, looking from the wheel. When you flipped it over it is turning counterclockwise, from the wheel's view. The rear drive is making contact on the outside of the curved gear, instead of the inside. This is not uncommon in some racecar uses where they flip drives over, just curious. Have you had any issues? Since that drive handled the early Goldwings, I doubt there were issues with a 500, but I am thinking out loud for use on a turbo. The rear gears on the NVT are 2.9:1 so it could raise the top end if you have the hp to pull it. It looks very nice.
Hi Ed,

Don't listen to him! hahah
Yes you are right about the shaft turning counterclockwise to make the wheel drive in the right direction. Which is a good thing, because that's the direction of the output shaft on the CX.
As for issues I can't tell you as of yet.

The bike has been entred in to a national bike building competion and so far has not been on the road as I wanted to keep it as clean as possible!!!
I've been short listed to the top sixty, where now it's down to the public vote (top 12) for the next stage.
If your interested, I can let you have the website address?

·
Registered
499 Posts
The whole bike is pretty much amazing. What a build! I can't see anything on the bike that I don't like. And with that, I also want to see a build blog with lots of pictures! I'm sure this bike will have a very good chance to win that contest. I'll vote if you give the link! Congrats on that build!

·
Registered
24,203 Posts
actually yes i have been involved with similar builds for race cars

and using counter rotating engines in qualifying cars with flipped final drives

so i have seen first hand what can happen with spiral cut gears and reverse rotation

i have never had a nvt final drive apart

i have voted fro you and love the look of the build very original and would love to see it on the road
\

·
Registered
2,346 Posts
I already voted earlier in the week, good luck you have put a lot of effort into this build.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Originally Posted by MCReviver You sir have set a new standard for others to try to achieve. Pity those that try. It is the essence of "cafe."

I'm bolded over by your comments and may I quote you in the future. Thank you so much.
You certainly may. Engrave it on a plaque to display with the machine at shows.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Nice looking bike, for sure! That with a 500TC or 650T giving power would be pretty.

Not very often you see a shock configured for dampening extension.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I love the use of NT 650 parts in your build. You have combined two of my favorite bikes but I only own one, a 1990 NT 650 in Red. I would love to hear your opinions on the handling because I love the handling of the NT. I was originally going to purchase a CX 500 and do a mild cafe racer, but then I swa a NT 650 and decided it was the perfect cafe racer without doing anything.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
The whole bike is pretty much amazing. What a build! I can't see anything on the bike that I don't like. And with that, I also want to see a build blog with lots of pictures! I'm sure this bike will have a very good chance to win that contest. I'll vote if you give the link! Congrats on that build!
Hi Lacher,

Sorry it's taken so long to get back to you and all the other watchers. Back home now and on with the finishing off.
I've taken the seat unit over to a guy to have it upholstered, so I'll get some pics on here when I get it back.
As for the bike I'm working on the clocks/idiot lights, again I'll get some pics on soon.

Big thanks for the great comments and as for voting here's the link.
Built in Britain 2013 Voting - Category: Choppers and Customs
You can vote for up to six bikes, one in each category.
Your votes will be much appreciated

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
actually yes i have been involved with similar builds for race cars

and using counter rotating engines in qualifying cars with flipped final drives

so i have seen first hand what can happen with spiral cut gears and reverse rotation

i have never had a nvt final drive apart

i have voted fro you and love the look of the build very original and would love to see it on the road
\
Hey big thanks for your vote.
I'm hoping to have some video on here soon of her running.

61 - 80 of 119 Posts