Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys n gals

Here is my newly finished CX500. I started this about a year ago and to be honest it is on another forum (do the ton, as I’m into my cafe racers) it never even crossed my mind that there would be a CX forum until I looked!
Anyone interested in any part of the build I have loads of build pictures, so let me know and I will post them
The bike is
Honda CX500 Deluxe
Standard engine, total strip and rebuild, Carbs cleaned with new K & N’s
Frame widened by 2” to take Honda NTV650 single sided swing arm and rear wheel, rear shock is a pull type from Buell Lighting.
Ducati Monster upside down forks running on a NTV front wheel, single GSXR750 6 pot calliper. GSXR clip-ons. Bandit clocks.
CX500 custom tank modified to sit lower with air craft filler.
Handmade aluminium seat unit.
Handmade under seat stainless steel exhaust with heat wrap.
Paint is Toffee white with black stripes and the Honda wings

Look forward to reading some feedback!!!

DSC_0028.jpg DSC_0040.JPG DSC_9988.jpg

·
Registered
4,278 Posts
Anyone interested in any part of the build I have loads of build pictures, so let me know and I will post them
The bike was Honda CX500 Deluxe
:D

Very good build ............nearly too modern for a over 30 years old bike. ;)

"Anyone interested" on more pictures ?

Y E S !

Gruesse
WolFgang

·
Registered
188 Posts
Dude, that is amazing!

To save the time of asking - would you mind using this as a fully-documented build thread :D

Jokes aside, if that is too much of an ask, would you mind posting more detail on the clocks / electrics?

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
The thing I like best about the CX for modding is its beefy looking little engine. Surrounded by a modern frame set-up really accentuates that. This might be the best looking CX mod I have seen to date.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Another forum member stumbled upon your bike on do the ton and was kind enough to already show it to us. That's a nice CX you built there. I did have some remarks on it in his thread, so I'll just be honest and post them in your thread too.

I think I like that bike :)

then again, there are a few things he could/should have done differently (since he's entered a beauty contest I think I'm allowed to nitpick here):
  • right after the exhaust header the first 30-40cm or so (12-16") the pipe should've been straight, running parallel with the smaller cooling line behind it. Now it's just an odd wavey mess.
  • most silver-ish items on the bike have a low reflective glossy silvergrey look. Except the headlight bucket and gauges which are chrome. Those should've been silvergrey as well to make them blend with the bike.
  • colours seem to be well thought out. And then there's that screaming red spark plug line. Should've been black (or cream white if they exist).
Then again, it's easy going OCD on details on someone else's work. Overall, nicely done.
I also must emphasise the last sentence in that post; nicely done! And now go write us a build thread! ;)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I would also love to 'hear' her - a youtube clip perhaps? What jetting did you use for your exhaust setup? I am loving the under-the-seat setup!

Giving me ideas here!

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Where is the battery? I can't see a under engine battery. Is it inside the seat? Or you push start it? Looks like a exhaust pipe under the engine, maybe that's where battery is. Pretty kool bike, I like the exhaust under the seat.

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Hi Nivagc, please tell us a little about yourself and where you are located. This is a very nice build. I thought all of the NTV650's had the drive on the left side, what rear drive did you use? How much did this extend the wheelbase? Any other build pictures would be welcomed.

Ed

·
Registered
119 Posts
I'm so jealous! You have taken several of the ideas I was putting together, that I thought would be unique, and totally beat me to them. From your exhaust sweeping under the seat to single sides swing arm. Though I apparently was wasting time trying to adapt a moto guzzi rear. Even your colors are perfect choice. It reminds me of boss mustang. Which I was going to go with gulf GT40 color scheme. All in all this is perfect example of can be done to these bikes! Your build is true motivation to me. And if imitation is highest form of flattery, in lot of ways I'm going to be flattering the shit out of you very soon!!!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Very curious how got final drive to work, and if there could be way to lower how high seat angle appears? And how hard to use different rims??

·
Registered
8,198 Posts
Excellent build!

I'd be interested to see more on how you adapted the tank for the aircraft filler. I've had it in mind to do the same on my GL project. I've thought through it a bit, but I'd like to see your approach.

Thanks,

R

1 - 20 of 116 Posts