Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So lets start with a little back story,
2 years ago I had a place to work on my bikes but lost that space, I used to have a garage here at the house but it become a functional space for my home based business so I was left without a place to wrench on my bikes. Then last year my wife and I decided to do a complete renovation on the house since it was needing some TLC to be glorious little house again. Well we planned out the space and what we needed and wanted from our space, and for myself I needed to have a place to work and build in peace which my wife agreed was necessary for my soul. For a while I wasn't really that much on the forum due to working my ass of fixing a house and still running a business from Monday to Friday. To say the least we are extremely happy with our hard work and effort, and I finally have a space to call my own in the basement of our house ( which makes it challenging to get bikes in and out, basically tear them down and bring in the sections).

Here was the ride I had quickly put together before losing my work space that started as a $250 bike that was sitting at the side of the guys house for a while
Image1_zpsa8608cdb.jpg

which became this
1006045_10151532223231020_2033900310_n_zpsd88456b5.jpg

I didn't notice at first but figured out later that it had been in some kind of accident because it was a little twitchy on the highway, found a little tweak in the spine of the bike that wasn't really noticeable when I tore the bike down. Luckily I had an extra frame from another purchase I had made, so when I got my space together this was going to become the new patient.

Workshop for me

The above and below pics with the donor frame on the jig

The one thing that I personally don't like with the CX frame is the seat area sub frame.......it is a pain to work around when making new seats or getting it to look good
So OFF with it

Turn down some frame plugs for internal support of the new 1" dom tubing I had bent up to create a new seat sub frame that will get TIG welded into place

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The plan for this ride is to use as much CX and Honda parts from other models to create a nice tracker-esque CX500 that is comfortable to ride as well as stylish but very functional.

The wheels are Eurosport wheels because I like that 80's turbo-ish rim with holes in it.
Front end is from 2003 CBR600rr and its not USD
The rear suspension will be mono shock with the swing arm from a 650E still using the pro link set up.
Tank will be a one off aluminum tank

And the rest you will find out along the way as I build it with more pics to come
The updates won't be every day as I only have some weekends and weeknights to create this, but I will do my best to keep this thread going.

Reactions: flyinelvis

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Can't wait to see the next chapter!

·
Registered
819 Posts
Nice project, I'm looking forward to following this and getting some inspiration!

·
Registered
443 Posts
We spoke last year and I recall you have an overcrowded shed you had to dig through. I look forward to following your build. I know what a time consuming drain they can be, but so much satisfaction in the end.
Cheering you on mate!

John

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gents

I had all my parts and other bikes under a shelter/tent that was a pain to get stuff from because it was just crammed full, but that is over with and i filtered down my parts pile to using or going to use

I should have some updates on Monday

·
Registered
107 Posts
If I had that sort of space to work on my bikes I would NEVER get out :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
Love the new space Kam. If the bike is anything like your last build then it should be amazing! Looking forward to the rest of the build!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
Well, just have to voice a few concerns here;

1 - Your work space is just too damn clean ..... Now I feel I have to clean mine again just not to feel bad :(

2 - Looks like you have some new toys ..... and you didnt tell me :( now come on, how can I justify going to Princess Auto and buying stuff when I cant use the excuse "but Kamn has one ?"

3 - Its been too long since you visited :)

So, keep the pics coming, cant wait to see it take shape :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Stern,
I know its been too long since my last visit........maybe this time you can visit.....hahaha I will be by some time soon with coffees in hand
Its been so fast paced getting things and the space ready that I haven't had much time, we need to catch up

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Weekend Update

Since the swing arm was going to be a bit of a challenge to fit in the frame I figured I would start with adapting that to fit, as you can see they are very similar in width and there basic setup is the same with the bearing pin on one side and bearing cup on the other

But the pins on the swing arm and the pins that screw through the frame are larger on the 650E swing arm, which means its not a straight swap out.

So the best solution was make "adjustments" so that the 500 cup and bearing remain in the frame by.......

Now the left side needed to be addressed since the 650E screw in pin is too large to fit in the 500 frame, so the solution was to make the 500 bearings fit in the Euro swing arm

Now the 500 bearings fit and all thats left is to sand blast the swing arm and weld my pieces in

Next for this week will be getting the framing for the seat trimmed up to fit the spine and have that welded in........so more to come

Reactions: flyinelvis

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I also need to say Thank You to Murray for this mod to the swing arm because this was his idea as he made these before fro some of his clients, due to our distance from each other and the fact that I wanted to machine and weld the pieces myself, I didn't get one ready to go from him.

As always, good shooting the shit with you.......lots of great ideas and knowledge that you are passing forward

·
Registered
252 Posts
You could always make a badge with Murray on in and put on your tank instead of Honda
I think a lot of people would have Murray on their CX because of his advise or parts.

sent via Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
:) I think you should stick Murrayf on the bike, that way he would be close to us and we could do a mega-build something like a CX powered space shuttle :)

·
Registered
2,167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
how about a CX powered shopping cart?

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
LOL well after this year I seriously contemplated a CX powered snow blower/melter lol

1 - 20 of 57 Posts