Honda CX 500 Forum banner

CX500 turbo stalls and dies

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  johnste1960 
#1 ·
Hi
I am helping a friend trying to fix hos Honda Turbo.
It starts and runs fine until it gets a little warm and then it starts to run rough and dies. Sometimes by itself on idle or when I give gas or when it comes off gas .
I have checked hoses, valveclearance, jets in throttlebody, airfilter, sparkplugs(sooty, black).
Har anyone any good suggestions or experienced the same thing?
Best Regards
Magnus
Sweden

#2 ·
Magnus,
I have limited experience with the Turbo and especially its running and performance issues. However, lots of experience with automotive computer EFI systems, which this is just an early form of, albeit complicated with Turbo and a V-Twin - Thanks Soichiro! My best guess would be running rich and possibly a bad temperature sender, which the ECU needs to run the fuel system properly. My son has one, and has told me a bit more, such as the 4 MAP sensors and other scary things I don't like to guess at, even on the EFI cars I repair. I think the Key to success with this is going to be troubleshooting and the ability to get trouble codes from the ECU, if that is even possible. Hopefully a CX-Turbo veteren will pick up this thread and give you some more useful input, than I can. I will say this, they are a blast to ride when they run properly, lol! -Graves-

#3 ·
You want to be sure that the throttle position sensor is clean and reading correctly.

#4 ·
Not sure if you got this addressed, but if you problem is below 3000 RPM and it stalls and dies, or coughs when you give it throttle. THen runs fine when it is at higher RPM, you have a bad pressure sensor. cant remember off hand which one it is. Search the form for Suzuki Sensor and you will find out all kind of info on it. I had the issue on my bike, and when I replaced the pressure sensor, it was fine. I had a spare honda sensor that I used which solved my problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.