Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 1982 cx500 turbo with 20k miles on it. Recently bought it from original owner. well maintained and ran flawlessly. That is until the third/fourth time out LOL.

Was riding with a friend when it backfired/popped once. But then continued to run fine.

Next day I took it to work and back, (20 mile round trip). It started acting up on the return trip. anytime I got above 5000 RPM, (actually about 5500rpm) it started cutting out. ran fine below this.

I did not have far to go till I got home. I drove it in the driveway, shut it off. I turned it back on, lights came on normally through self test, but when I went to hit the start button, it would not turn over. Just clicked. Seemed like battery was dead.

Pushed it in garage as I had to go to work. Next day, I tried to start it. Again, the lights came on normally through self test. when I hit the start switch, turned over a few times then battery had nothing left. again, the battery was dead.

At this point I have not started any troubleshooting. Will try some this weekend if I can get the time. My 10 year old daughter wants to have some friends over for a sleep over so not sure how much time I will get this weekend :)

I am going to start with a battery load test as I have a load tester. Since I have another cx500t, I will swap batteries to see if it starts.

I will also do some electrical tests on the stator and measure the charging voltage if it actually runs. I will check connections as the forum implies these can go bad.

I think these are good basic first steps. I will let everyone know the results.

I do have a couple questions:

1) first, anything else anyone would recommend
2) Does this bike have a G8 stator with ignitec? I thought I read that all 1982 and later were a TI ignition with a Ignetec . Or does this bike have the CDI in with the older type stator.

John

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The stator is a G8, but it is not an Ignitech system. It is a TI box.

You will be checking the connector between the stator and the rectifier, this is often a problematic part of the turbo system.
This is the connector you use to test between the windings anyway, but look for any signs of melting. This can also be a sign that your rectifier is taking a crap.

If you are lucky, it could just be a dead battery. I have had that happen before, and the stator was fine.

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
update 8/24/20113
Have not had a lot of time to look at this. Charged the battery, and bike started right up and runs good.
while running, checked the voltage on the battery and found only 12 volts. System is not charging. Troubleshooting will continue with looking at regulator and stator but will have to wait as I have my daughter this weekend. Hoping for it to be a regulator but highly suspect the stator.

We will see.

My 2ns cx500t that I bought still running good. and charging OK.:)

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm curious out this turned out, as my '82 Turbo recently stopped charging (I think--the battery kept going dead despite being a good battery).

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Both descriptions given indicate a bad stator or bad stator connections and a battery that has possibly had the life sucked out of it.. next step would be to just check the stator windings and if they are open to ground or infinite to each other then you have found the problem...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts