Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello CX500 World!

I'm hoping the fine members of the CX500 can convince me not to throw my newly acquired 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate off a cliff! I'd have to go down to the bluffs as cliffs are a little hard to find in Minnesota. I little history on how I got to this point..... In May I "rescued" this bike from my neighbor who was aging the bike on the side of his house because it had a charging problem. $400 dollars later I was the proud owner. I took it home, put it on a battery charger and got the thing to start and it seamed to run ok. Testing the stator output showed a dead short in one of the coils. Ok, $100 later and an Electorsport stator was headed my way. I'm a long time motorcycle enthusiast/mechanic so the challenge of pulling the motor and replacing the stator excited me. I read several of the post on this site, downloaded the manual, and started the process. I inspected the timing chain tensioner, mechanical seal etc. and found everything else in good condition (the bike has 15K on the odometer). I buttoned her up and was excited to get her going. I took some coaxing, a little started fluid sprayed in the airbox and it fired off. Charging system checked out good and electrical problem solved! Woo-Hoo, so I'm sporting around on this fine looking Silverwing but one problem remained. Starting was a bitch, full choke, maybe a little throttle, 10-15 second shots to the started, let it rest a bit, the hit it again, and again, often a squirt of starting fluid in the airbox and then it would go. Reading some more it sounded like I needed a through carb cleaning. I've had the carb on and off at least seven times this summer, all the jets out, cleaned, re-cleaned, re-installed - no improvement. Ok, lets get the carb Ultrasonically cleaned. Did that..... no improvement. Ugh. S.O.B motorcycle is laughing at me!

So, where am I at today. The bike runs fantastic once you get it going, and accelerates smooth and strong Ive taken it on 200 mile outings. When cranking (no choke or throttle), it turns over, as it should, strong but absolutely no fire. When cranking with choke, it turns over strong with an occasional kick like it wants to fire. When cranking with choke and just the slightest twist of little throttle, the starter/starter clutch often makes a horrible bang, clang crunch sound .... ouch.... what the hell. I believe this is the started clutch, engagement.. but why does it do this only when giving the bike some throttle? But if I want it to start I to endure this destructive sound (I know this is going to kill something if I don't stop) and it will slowly crank and run. The bike with "bump" start easily, provided I can get my neighbors to pretend they are at an NFL training camp and want to push this big, heavy, shaft driven beast down our road! Also, I have the idle set high (3K) to keep if from stalling. If I have the idle lower it will sputter and drop out quickly (2,3 sec of idling). I can't tell if it's lack of ignition or fuel that is causing it to quit. If I sense it's about to quit, I give it throttle it will rev back up.

Today I though I'd inspect for an air leaks using the old get her running, turn the idle screw up so she'll keep running (3000 RPM) and spray starting fluid around any of the suspect area's for air leak listening for RPM increase. I don't like this method for fear of Flash fire... but I was kinda hoping the whole thing would go up in flames. No dice bike didn't flinch and I went a little crazy spraying starting fluid with abandon.

We'll I didn't go up in flames. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Swanny In White Bear Lake, MN

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts
It sounds like an idle circuit problem in the carbs, Did you do the ultrasonic cleaning or did you farm it out? Have you a copy of either Larry Cargill's or Mike Nixon's carb books?
When cleaning the carbs was the low jet removed?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
have you checked the petcock on the gas tank is operating correctly? I think yours will be a vacuum one . Convert it to manual , extract the filter straw from inside the tank and clean that as well. Then pull the carbs off and get someone who knows cv carbs to give them an overhaul. While they are away check the intake boots for cracks and air admission.

That should remedy the issue

Reactions: IKesterson

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did remove them all the jets. My carb has the rubber plug and the removable jet underneath. I had a local small engine guy do the ultrasonic clean. Only screw up I can think of is I still had the Air Cutoff Valve diaphrams still in the carb. After the cleaning they were toast so I ordered some new ones and replaced them. I've heard that multiple (Ultrasonic cleans may be nessesary. I think I'll pull the carbs again and Ultrasonic again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep, I've got the vacuum kind petcock. It seems to work ok. Your right, an investment in Larry Cargill's or Mike Nixon's carb books would be a wise.

·
Super Moderator
4,065 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,453 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts