Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys,

I know this is a subject that has been taken on many times but I've searched through the forum without finding the answer I need, so I will be more specific.

I am looking for the tires for my build, the donor bike is a CX500 Z with classic comstar rims (not reversed).
Original tire size are 3.25-19 front and 3.75-18 rear.
At the moment I have on the front a 100/90-19 and the rear 120/90-18.

In the front I will most probably run again a 100/90-19, but I was wondering if any of you knows if a 110/90 or 110/80 could still fit (?).

But the biggest doubts I have are about the rear: I can't decide if to go with a 120 or 130.
Can anyone confirm if a 130 will fit?

These are the 130 I am looking at (both Metzeler):

1- Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra 130-70
2- Metzeler Cruisetec 130-70

Has anyone fitted one of these two tires in his bike?

While this is the 120:
Metzeler ME888 Marathon Ultra 120-90

My last question is: all of these tired I've shared, are considered "front tires".
What does it actually means? What is the difference? Starting from the fact that I know for sure that design between the front and rear does not change in these particular tires. So what can be the difference?

Thank you all
Gian

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,454 Posts
Two places to watch with wider tires. In the front, the bolts securing the fender might interfere when mounting the wheel. Attaching the fender after the wheel would be awkward, but doable.
In the rear, look at the clearance between your current 120 and the right leg of the swing arm. Do you have 5mm there that you can give up?
Note that width will vary between brands. I just mounted Shinko 230s (100/90-19 and 120/90-18), and they are visibly narrower than the same sized Dunlops they replaced. If the Metzlers run wider than what you currently have mounted, measurements may be misleading.
The rear wheel carries more load than the front, in terms of both weight and acceleration ( though the front takes more in braking). I wouldn't be surprised if there is a difference in rubber compounds -- stickier up front, better wear behind. I don't think handling would be adversely affected (some may have a better informed opinion), but I think you'd need to replace it sooner.

·
Super Moderator
5,339 Posts
Reactions: Randall-in-Mpls

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
I finally got a chance to read the whole post at the link. I find his reasoning questionable, but he is correct that front and rear tires serve different functions and are optimized for those roles.

·
Registered
11,454 Posts
I'm curious, Smooke, why you want to mount wider tires than stock. Handling is much more agile with narrower tires.

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
17,740 Posts
Also, wider tires need wider rims to produce their optimum cross sectional profile. If you mount a tire on a rim that is narrower than the tire was designed for the beads will be pulled closer than they should be and the profile will be distorted and that can actually produce a smaller contact patch than a narrower tire that is compatible with the rim.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts