Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone,

This is my first cafe racer so I wanted to get some advise. I bought my Honda CX500D while stationed in England and brought back stateside with me. When I bought is the guy had already tore the bike down and failed at building it back up so I'm still finding things wrong with it, but whatever. I've been working on putting a seat on it(the last one was bought at a boot sale and held on with 2 zip ties) and I wanted to see if anyone had any thoughts/better ideas for the install. So far I build a platform to mount the plastic seat pan I picked up from Dime City Cycles and was about to weld it to the frame but I wanted to check for other ideas first.
CX500 seat bracket.jpg

Also I wanted to get some ideas on the best way to stop rust on EVERYTHING!!!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'm in a similar spot, I simply hate the fat dual level seat and want to find something brat/scrambler related. I was going to recommend dime city but you're already all over it. eBay is a good place to find damn near everything. Keep us posted on what you do!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've found myself in this situation a great deal as well. With my Yamaha 250 I managed to buy a seat from a bicycle shop for $35 and to my surprise it snapped right onto the old frame rails. But with my Honda I had nothing to go off of, I'm fortunate to have a junkyard down the street from my house, so I literally pulled the first seat I saw that wasn't trashed (from an 77 Suzuki 3 Wheeler) and drilled out the plastic for compatibility and trimmed it down so it didn't look ridiculous, and it works fine for me.

Moral of my long winded story; anything is possible as long as you have even a little bit of skill with upholstery or sewing, and an old seat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Finished with the seat. I think it went pretty well, but I think if I had to do it over again I would pick a different cushion. Other than that I'm happy it's on. I ended up shaving the frame a little on the back by the tail to get the bracket to sit as low as possible. I used steal stud drywall screws to attach the plastic seat to the bracket because they are self tapping and the length worked out great. For the cushion it self I attached it with velcro so I can remove it if necessary. My welds look like crap, but it's literately my first time using a welder and they are solid at least lol. I think next is going to be an area for the battery and electronics. 20151227_142836.jpg 20151227_183615.jpg 20151227_183751.jpg 20151227_183806.jpg 20151227_184233.jpg

·
Registered
57 Posts
Great photos Matt! Where did you end up finding the cafe seat?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dime City Cycles has it for $89. The pads are the same price. I think I ended up finding on some no name motorcycle part store online for like $10 less. Definitely regret not going with DCC though, the other place took 3 weeks for shipping and had terrible customer service. I dont't know if I'm a huge fan of the plastic, but it was cheap and very forgiving.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Looks like i'll be doing something sim. just picked up two big sheets of Leather. One for me and one for my son. i'll try and do something for my sons bike first to hammer out any mistakes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Would love to see the finished product. I was going to try that originally, as well as my my own fiberglass seat, but my first go didn't turn out so hot and I was about to move so time was short. Since then I have just been waiting on getting a welder to make a bracket to mount this seat to my bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts