Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I've stumbled upon this forum today and I thought I'd drop a few lines about my project. Once a year I tend to buy an old motorcycle, customize it and take it for a long ride. My past bikes are irrelevant to this forum, but this year I bought a CX500C and I'm building a scrambler off of it. Just in case, a scrambler is a street bike modified into an all-terrain bike, where all unnecessary parts are removed to lower the overall weight.

When looking for scramblers based on the CX500, I can't find anything except for the one built by Rive Gauche Kustoms in France, which has already been commented in this thread: http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/topic/13916-cx-500/

I love the teardrop tank from the CX500C (which is quite similar to the legendary Harley Sportster), and I don't think the other version of the tank would look good on a scrambler. Therefore, since a tank is kinda pricy and expensive to be shipped, I decided to go for a CX500C.

There were only 5 bikes in my province (Skåne, Sweden) of which only one was the C version. The bike has 60000km and was in very good shape. This is what the bike looked like a week ago:

[attachment=2602:01.jpg]

I have done quite a few modifications so far:

- Rear wheel: I couldn't find an off road tyre for a 16" rim, so I decided to get a 17" rim from a non-C version of the bike off of eBay.

- Tyres: I will be driving 99% on the highway, but I need offroad-looking tyres for a scrambler. Looking at reviews, it seems like the Continental Twinduro TKC-80 are the best of the best. They look pretty cool too, and it seems to be the ones the guys in France have chosen. I've got a 120/90-18 and a 110/80-19.

- Seat: I have pulled apart the original seat and have cut it to a solo seat, removing the rear half and trimming the sides. I carved a solo seat out of the original foam and made a seat cover from new artificial leather. You can see pictures of the cuts and the new seat here:

[attachment=2603:03.jpg]

[attachment=2604:04.jpg]

- Frame: I have removed the air filter box, battery and all electric guts from that area. I have trimmed all supports from the frame using and angle grinder and I have trimmed the frame right after the shocks. You can see the piece I took off in the previous picture. I took the original baggage rack and trimmed the angles, welded them together and welded them into the frame as you can see below. The idea is to be able to tie a small bag so that I don't have to carry a backpack. This is how the bike looks today:

[attachment=2605:02.jpg]

I have also welded a metal sheet to the top part of the frame making a nice shelf for the CDI, starter relay, etc, and I painted it all in black to match the rest of the frame. Picture follows:

[attachment=2606:05.jpg]

- Cardan: I painted it all in what I hope will more or less match the color of the engine when I give it a good clean.

- Shocks: I bought a pair of black shocks for 60 pounds in Wemoto. They are on their way home.

- Rear fender: I used the front half of the fender from my previous bike project, a Kawasaki Vulcan VN800 which I turned into a bobber.

- Front fender: I have cut the original fender at about 50% both front and rear.

- Air filter: I bought a pair of conical air filters from a local bike shop.

- Exhaust: The bike was originally limited to 20kw, but a previous owner have made the conversion (37kw labeled downpipes and, I hope, carb jets). I simply sandblasted the original downpipes, which I will soon paint in black. I dumped the H pipe and I will simply connect straight pipes. In Sweden I could have up to 103dB, which I hope I can achieve with a custom dBkiller that I will make myself. It worked great with my previous bike.

- Battery: I made a custom support to hold the battery under the engine, where the H pipe used to be. I have to put it all together tomorrow.

- Handlebar: I replaced the "old grandpa" handlebar with an off-road handlebar.

- Forks: I painted them in black and installed fork boots. I am short of time, because my trip is next week, but I intend to install a modern dashboard from Luois.de. For now, I have removed the odometer and the central LED column and will mount the tachometer in the center, making a custom support. I just couldn't do the trip with the original dashboard, which looks totally out of place with the new handlebar.

- Headlight: I would like to use an old enduro headlight with a stone shield, but I can't find anything in this short time. For now, I think I have an idea, but it is TBD...

- Paintjob: I have painted both fenders and the tank using olive semi-gloss paint to give it a second war kind of a look, despite the aggressive tyres and rather modern shapes.

Perhaps next winter I will take the engine off and paint it the same color with the cardan, but probably not in beige like the guys in France did.

This is all for now. I promise to post a picture next week before I head down to Germany.

Comments? Questions? I would love to hear your feedback.

Cheers,

Julian

Attachments

·
Registered
262 Posts
Looks like your headed in the right direction. I need to get out to the shed and get my project done.

·
Super Moderator
15,331 Posts
Welcome to the forum. The non C rims for the rear are 18 inch and not 17. Hope you didn't get the wrong one on ebay. The scrambler you talk about a lot on her have different names for them but most people are planning for offroad and put long stretch dirtbike shocks on them.

·
Registered
219 Posts
My only thought is that the battery could be exposed to terrain rash, and also reduce the ground clearance.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys.

Yes, the rim I've got is an 18", not a 17" (my bad) and it is already installed. Both rims are now painted black (semigloss). They look pretty cool with the Twinduro tyres.

Yes, the battery under the engine reduces ground clearance in about 3-4cm, but it should be more than sufficient for my application. I have built a pretty sturdy stone guard/crashbar that should keep it safe, though. I will post pictures once installed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another day, another dollar, and a productive 3-hour garage session after work.

I have a week left before my trip (and it has been just 10 days since I started). Given the short schedule, I have decided to drop the idea of the old enduro headlight with the stoneguard. Instead, I have installed a modern motard/enduro headlight.

[attachment=2624:02.jpg]

As far as the dashboard, there will be no time for a new one before the trip. Therefore, I've dumped the speedometer and the ugly column with indicator lights (sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings), and relocated the tachometer to the center, which fits nicely with the new headlight fairing and offroad handlebar. I love the way it looks, and I'm thinking that I might leave it like this after all, and simply add later a small speedometer on the side. For this trip, my Garmin Etrex will do a great work at telling my exact speed

It definitely looks much cleaner and sexier now.

[attachment=2625:03.jpg]

I have also ran the cables properly and I just need to fix the CDI, voltage regulator and starter relay to the custom made compartment. You can now see the empty space where the air filter and battery used to be. I have also installed the battery container/protector (which you can see hanging open in under the engine)

[attachment=2626:01.jpg]

This is it for now. Tomorrow I will fix the new seat and battery. I think my fenders and tank will need another day to dry properly before I can put them back.

Attachments

·
Registered
534 Posts
Looks awesome. The custom has the footpegs positioned more forward from the standard, not sure if that is better or worse for actually off-road riding (ie, standing on the pegs). I have swapped my pedals left-to-right to get them set farther back, and you can turn the shifter upside-down to bring that back. I had a welding shop shorten my rear brake pedal. It's a much nicer position.

Well your bike is very similar to my 1981 custom, and my quick-and-dirty dual sport upgrade was to put a rear Duro 904 tire and a front Shinko 705. Functional, but not exactly head-turning! It is testing my patience to get this bike to simply be reliable enough to take off-road. But if I ever fixed up a bike that nice, I'd be afraid to take it into the dirt! I guess I don't have the right mindset to build a nice bike.... I actually want to spend my weekends exploring dirt trails, not building a bike that looks like it can!

Where will you support the bottom skid plate from? I've thought about having something like that made, what's your idea on how it will bolt on?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Is it just me who doesn't get this? Each to their own and that but I don't understand the point.

Although I suppose there are some who can't see the point in turning a cx into a bobber or cafe.

In fact just ignore me. I'm probably still annoyed about my lacquer incident. Or high off the fumes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Alan: Yes, I've noticed the position of the pedals vs the street version. However, being 1.90m (6'3") it feels ok as it is now. As far as the skid plate, I will not need one since I will not ride this bike off-road. I thought, however, of making one with two sections to cover radiator and engine, hanging from the sides of the radiator and perhaps finding some anchor in the engine block. The thing is that I started riding off-road bikes as a teenager and today, somehow I appreciate having the option, but I rarely take the bike off the road.

E=MC Hammer, why? Well, I love doing this every year. I take an old bike, fix it and even turn it into something a bit different, just for the fun of it. This year I'm riding it down through Germany into Czech Republic and then back home through Poland. It will be around 2500km in total, which is quite short for my usual kind of ride, since I'm going with a friend. I usually do solo rides of between 5000km and 8000km. I went solo to Nordkapp (Northernmost point in Europe, at the Arctic Norwegian coast, 1000km north from the Arctic Cicle) and back in 5 days, that's 5100km in a 1989 DR-BIG that I fixed the week before. This is what I like doing, and I want to break the 10,000km barrier one of these days. So, to make it short, I both like the way a bike looks, and I love riding them. What was your problem with the lacquer? Is there a thread about it here? Curious to know.

Zenfist, here is a picture of a simple solution for the battery under the engine, using the three anchors from the H-pipe. I could have used a smaller battery and keep almost the original ground clearance, but I wanted to keep the required amps. Note that one side leaves more room to allow clearance for the positive side of the battery.

[attachment=2627:01.jpg]

Today was a quite productive day too. I managed to fit well the CDI and regulator in my new compartment and the rest of the stuff in the area under the tank. It should be pretty safe, but I'll find out for sure soon. I have also replaced the shocks with the black ones I received today from Wemoto as you can see here. Boy do they look cool with the black tyres.

[attachment=2628:02.jpg]

Then I have also built a custom exhaust pipe. It is just a straight pipe for now, but I will probably need to make my own dBkiller to lower to the 103dB that I am allowed to have here. I promise to upload a video (is that possible?) with my first test. The pipes will hang from the support where the passenger footpegs used to be. As soon as they were ready, I painted them black.

[attachment=2629:03.jpg]

[attachment=2630:04.jpg]

It was a short three-hour garage session today, but I also managed to paint the CX500 "army" style on my olive green tank.

[attachment=2631:05.jpg]

Tomorrow, I will make anchors and install the rear fender and seat, connect the battery, install the exhaust (if it dried properly) and start to check if everything works. Then I will only have some minor details, blinkers and a mirror (I just need one to satisfy Swedish road regulations).

I can't wait to see it all put together!

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Is it just me who doesn't get this? Each to their own and that but I don't understand the point.

Although I suppose there are some who can't see the point in turning a cx into a bobber or cafe.

In fact just ignore me. I'm probably still annoyed about my lacquer incident. Or high off the fumes.
gotta love the fun you get from designing and building thou, regardless of taste.. well done mate, looking forward to seeing it finished.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Allright, I've managed to put it all together today. It looks great, but I have to fix quite a few things, such as the license plate, rear lights and blinkers. However, the paint is not totally dry yet, so I will let it rest a couple of days, otherwise I will mess it up. Some pictures follow:

[attachment=2635:05.jpg]

[attachment=2636:04.jpg]

[attachment=2637:03.jpg]

[attachment=2638:02.jpg]

[attachment=2639:01.jpg]

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
Allright, I've managed to put it all together today. It looks great, but I have to fix quite a few things, such as the license plate, rear lights and blinkers. However, the paint is not totally dry yet, so I will let it rest a couple of days, otherwise I will mess it up. Some pictures follow:

[attachment=2635:05.jpg]

[attachment=2636:04.jpg]

[attachment=2637:03.jpg]

[attachment=2638:02.jpg]

[attachment=2639:01.jpg]
Nice. VERY Nice!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Fantastic. Really like the tail treatment.

Strictly from an aesthetic standpoint, if the rear shocks were an inch or two longer, the bike would have a more level upper line (tank/seat relationship) -- which to me would look better. However, you'd be reducing the rake tremendously, which might make the handling too quick.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Allright, my bike is done and I took her for a first ride today. Some pictures follow:

[attachment=2682:01.jpg]

[attachment=2683:02.jpg]

Boy, is it fun! What a difference. It feels like a completely new bike. I lifted up the box today where I keep all parts I removed, and I've got the feeling it is around 20 kg (over 40 lbs). It is much easier now to use the centre stand (the only one I have left) and overall handling has improved drastically. Of course, in addition to the reduced weight, I also have a different sit, a bigger rear tyre, a different handlebar and some extra power.

The new air filters and open exhaust brought indeed a noticeable increase in power, but now the bike idles too high. I have to take a look at that as it was nearly hitting 3000rpm at idle. However, I will have to make a dBkiller first, because it is ridiculously noisy with the open exhaust.

I will now make an oil change, and make some final adjustments. Next post will be in a couple of weeks, with pictures from the trip. Cheers now.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I hear you, Blindstitch. License plates are ridiculous in Europe. Germany had the record for the biggest plate, but thankfully they have reduced its size a bit recently. You could make your own custom plate, but that will at some point get you a ticket :/

·
Administrator
1,556 Posts
I must say, this is one of my favorite CX builds so far. Very beautiful job, looks like an absolute blast. I would go longer shocks too honestly, but man I want to ride that thing now!

Charles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is fun, Charles. Pure fun. Thanks for your comment.

I'm ready for my trip, leaving tomorrow. After an oil change and some final adjustments, I went for a short ride to the beach this afternoon.

[attachment=2695:TAn-2.jpg]

I promise more pictures when I get back in 10 days.

Cheers,

Julian

Attachments

1 - 20 of 44 Posts