Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm no mechanic by any means, so please pardon my ignorance here...

I'm having issues with my 1980 CX500. My lady was cruising it down the road when I noticed her lights weren't on. I had her stop and noticed the battery was boiling over and smoking pretty bad.

I replaced the solenoid and the battery as well as checked the fuses and they all seem to be good. The lights work but, when I try to crank there isn't a response. Does anyone have an idea of what I should look into to get it running again?

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
Does the starter motor spin ?

·
Registered
3,592 Posts
If the starter motor is turning effectively without cranking the starter clutch is either not turning the crankshaft, or there is no spark even with new plugs and fuses. Trouble shoot systemically...or the flow of fuel became blocked. You will find the reason and the cure, hopefully sooner than later. A multimeter is an essential tool to be used in the proses. Read ALL the info available on the cxgl wiki.

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
With the battery smoking and boiling it sounds like a dead short (heavy load) On the battery (a starter that's being powered and is shorted or jammed). Could be the charging circuit, but they rarely if ever boil the battery enough to see it. Agree with above, check out the starter and if that's not the problem then you can check the charging circuit (bike needs to be running to check voltages)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts