Honda CX 500 Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I doubt that Thumpers problems have anything to do with oil.

Was your bike 'normal' the next time you rode it Thumper?

Have you read your sparkplugs?

How old are the sparkplugs.
Very valid points and I agree. I will add one more question: When you changed the oil after that, did you look in the filter for metal flakes?

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
I had good Castrol in it, no need to change the oil yet, it just didn't run as strong when hot all day.
More like it wanted to not fire once in a while when hot, not a misfire exactly, more like a weak fire.
Can't say there is anything seriously wrong with it yet.
That's all I can tell you for now.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread.
Point being what thoughts are on oil viscosity (weight) on operating temperature (engine running at highway speeds all day).
Short hops and in town speeds simply do not get these engines very hot.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not trying to hijack this thread.
Point being what thoughts are on oil viscosity (weight) on operating temperature (engine running at highway speeds all day).
Short hops and in town speeds simply do not get these engines very hot.
If your cooling system is in good health, running at highway speeds all day shouldn't equal high engine temperature. The FSM bases it's oil viscosity recommendation on air temperature, not how the engine is run. My opinion is to follow the FSM. CXPHREAK did have the additional advice of upping the weight if oil consumption is high and I would agree with him.

·
Registered
3,320 Posts
Forget my CX500, think about my air cooled Honda 750 and Kawi 750. These bikes run best fully warmed up. The question is relating oil weight/viscosity to engine temperature. This is a general question. I am not diagnosing the CX500 here. I think the slight expansion of a hot air cooled engine wants a different kind of oil property than a warm engine. Since the topic is about oil, this is worth talking about, in my opinion. There is no right or wrong answer here, only an interesting thing I have observed in my air cooled bikes.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts