Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finishing up a light rebuild on my CX500. Did not touch the pistons/rings/crank. What's the current recommended oil for that engine? Specific oil manufacturer? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,362 Posts
Just finishing up a light rebuild on my CX500. Did not touch the pistons/rings/crank. What's the current recommended oil for that engine? Specific oil manufacturer? Thanks.
Go to the top of this page and put "Rotella T6" in the search box.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Most important is the oil to be JASO MA rated or your clutch may start slipping. Other than that it’s whatever floats your boat. More expensive doesn’t mean better quality. I use Shell Rotella T4 15w40. That oil is held in high regards in the marine industry too. I use it in my boat that has the Mercruiser 4.3 v6.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I thought I left pretty good bait for this conversation! People had popcorn and I assume beverages ready but no takers. I tried to get the “new” forum started in style.

·
Registered
50 Posts
In truth, you are probably fine with any oil you dump in the engine. All commercial oils are made to the same API standards. You are best to match the viscosity to your ambient temperatures. The multi-vis oils remove much of the guess work from viscosity choice. Generally, either 10W40 or 10W30 will suit over 90% of our riding conditions in the USA.

Certainly, there are exceptions and I'm sure an "expert" will chime in with an anecdote about some low percentage dire consequence about using the wrong oil.

I suspect these engines would operate on vegetable cooking oil for a time. Although, I wouldn't recommend it. But in a hard pinch...…...it could be a viable choice.

To answer your question about which manufacturer......
I use Pennzoil, Quaker State or what is on sale. Always full Syn, typically 10W30.

·
Super Moderator
19,708 Posts
I don't claim any expertise but have been working on these bikes for about 12 years.

In that time I've rebuilt several totally, done about 20 triple bypasses, replaced sundry stators, pulsers and mech seals. Rubuilt heads, recut seats, rebuilt dozens of sets of the carbs built a couple of CXs from the ground up and given advice to hundreds here..

You?

·
Registered
23,989 Posts
i have done 1 or 2 and a few

i use dyno (mineral) oil normally castrol for the last 35 plus years

synthetic oil is not recommended for these engines by honda and i have seen problems crop up that verify that for me so

i never use it in these early engines

unless you live in a cold climate 10w 30 is not thick enough for most areas in the summer

honda recommends 10w 40 in most North American riding temps and in the hot weather i use 20w50 as per the chart in the

fsm and owners manual

the viscosity of the oil matches the clearance specs of the engine and is not chosen lightly by the engineers

these oil threads should be defined and combined into one thread them made into prejoin reading so it does not keep coming up

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, CXPHREAK, I will not engage in a credential pissing contest.

You can accept my replies, ban me or ignore me...… It is your choice.

I do agree with Murray. The most prudent choice is to use what is recommended in the manual. IMHO, there is no "BEST" oil.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I have another bike that has a flat tappet cam/lifter system and one of the things on that forum that always comes up is the additive "package". They recommend an oil that is high in zinc so as to lubricate the lifter/cam faces as to not gall/shred them. Seems to make sense to me. The other thing that is important is the clutch being in the engine oil, you don't want any lubrication modifiers that will adversely effect the clutch to make it start slipping as Doug previously stated. I don't know if the high zinc additive is important to CX/GL engines or not? Can someone comment on that please?

·
Super Moderator
19,708 Posts
Sorry, CXPHREAK, I will not engage in a credential pissing contest.

You can accept my replies, ban me or ignore me...… It is your choice.

I do agree with Murray. The most prudent choice is to use what is recommended in the manual. IMHO, there is no "BEST" oil.
No pissing contest.

My answer is the FSM recommendation. They used mineral oil when these bikes were built. So it's what was recommended with a varied viscosity range for climate.

What wasn't taken into consideration there was engine condition. The FSM kinda takes it that your motor is new.

As the tolerances loosen a thicker oil is required. Simples. These bikes are now 40 years old.

I've found the snipers disappear on their own without any action from me.

·
Registered
50 Posts
oh.....so now you are attempting to label me as a sniper.

Not good form for a Super Moderator.

If you care to reread my replies in this topic, you will discover I only stated what I use for viscosity and blend. I did not contraindicate the manual nor anyone else.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
Apologies to bencor21 for my earlier snarky remark but this is the number one favorite topic for hecklers.
One thing I have been wondering about regards oil is what type is best for these engines when running them all day long at modern highway speeds.
In town and back in the day when 55 mph was the limit, any acceptable oil does the job in these tough engines.
Last year my little CX500 was run all day at speed on a spring ride and I noticed it seemed to run different at the end of the day on the ride home from the barbecue.
Would a specific weight or brand have done a better job under those conditions ?

·
Super Moderator
19,708 Posts
oh.....so now you are attempting to label me as a sniper.

Not good form for a Super Moderator.

If you care to reread my replies in this topic, you will discover I only stated what I use for viscosity and blend. I did not contraindicate the manual nor anyone else.
You did imply that my answer was contrary to the FSM.

It's not.

I'll leave you to it.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Apologies to bencor21 for my earlier snarky remark but this is the number one favorite topic for hecklers.
One thing I have been wondering about regards oil is what type is best for these engines when running them all day long at modern highway speeds.
In town and back in the day when 55 mph was the limit, any acceptable oil does the job in these tough engines.
Last year my little CX500 was run all day at speed on a spring ride and I noticed it seemed to run different at the end of the day on the ride home from the barbecue.
Would a specific weight or brand have done a better job under those conditions ?
What oil were you using last year? Also, what was the air temperature when you were riding home? I don't claim to have an answer for you but I am very curious about this.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts