Honda CX 500 Forum banner

CX500 REAR GRAB BAR

3K views 24 replies 3 participants last post by  THX1138 
#1 ·
Looking for a rear grab bar that will fit a 78 CX500. Let me know if you have on and are willing to part with it. Also, it would be good if it had some mounting hardware.

#8 ·
Chase, if that's from your '81 Custom, it won't fit his '78 Standard.

#10 ·
I might have one (or three). I'll try to check condition and verify fitment tomorrow.

#12 ·
I found four here that will fit. All have some surface rust. One was badly welded. Two have mangled turn signal mounts.
Here's the best one.
Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Pattern Metal

It looks like it should clean up OK. Yours for shipping, if you want it.
I don't have the associated hardware, at least not without doing a lot of digging in various places. My spare fasteners are spread all over and still need to be sorted. I do have a box of turn signals, if you need those
You might find it all as a kit if you connect with someone who just lopped off the tale end for a cafe/tracker/street fighter/whatever build. Otherwise, look at a parts fiche, and make a list of what you need to source.

#13 ·
I found four here that will fit. All have some surface rust. One was badly welded. Two have mangled turn signal mounts.
Here's the best one.
View attachment 210197
I don't have the associated hardware, at least not without doing a lot of digging in various places. My spare fasteners are spread all over and still need to be sorted. I do have a box of turn signals, if you need those
You might find it all as a kit if you connect with someone who just lopped off the tale end for a cafe/tracker/street fighter/whatever build. Otherwise, look at a parts fiche, and make a list of what you need to source.
Here's the best one.
View attachment 210197
Except for some surface rust, it doesn't look that bad. I would like to get the turn signals as well, front and back if they are relatively intact. I am interested, but want to checkout what you stated with the cafe rebuilders. I'll let you know soon.

#15 ·
I have a few of the cowls, but not sure about the headlight, trim ring, etc.
Too bad I didn't check the forum while I was still in the garage. It's all packed away for the night, now. I'll try to get to it some evening this week. If not, it'll be next Saturday.

#16 ·
No problem. The bike won't really be ready to hit the road until the beginning of spring anyway. Let me know what you find. Also, I have the cowl and some instruments as well. I'm just starting on straightening out the electrics. If you have any extra components you want to get rid of that would fit a 78, let me know.

#18 ·
Sorry I dropped the ball on this. I'll see if I can dig that bar out again and a set of signals.

#20 ·
Sorry, I dropped it again. You're looking for the old-style signals, correct?

#22 ·
I dug out the grab bar I showed you earlier and found my box of turn signals. I only have three of the four Custom/Deluxe style, so I'll find a set of Standards that appear to be intact. Do you need the stems, or just the bases and lenses?
I don't have any hardware for the grab bar. If you look through a parts fiche, you should be able to source fasteners by size.

#23 ·
Was hoping you'd have the mounting hardware for the grab bar, but I can piece together some bolts and so forth. As far as the signals go, if you have enough standards that would work. I have the mount for the front, but I don't have the stems for the rear. Also, I have rear fender parts for a GL500 if you might like to swap parts that I'm not going to make use of.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.