Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a rear grab bar that will fit a 78 CX500. Let me know if you have on and are willing to part with it. Also, it would be good if it had some mounting hardware.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Looking for a rear grab bar that will fit a 78 CX500. Let me know if you have on and are willing to part with it. Also, it would be good if it had some mounting hardware.
I’ve got one that I’m not using on my Cafe Racer build.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve got one that I’m not using on my Cafe Racer build.
Great. Could you possibly post a picture of it and does it still have the mounting hardware. Also, a grab rail from a later model CX500D will not work on a 78CX500.

·
Registered
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
11,069 Posts
Also, a grab rail from a later model CX500D will not work on a 78CX500.
Interesting. I thought the Standard and Deluxe had the same tail end.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
Chase, if that's from your '81 Custom, it won't fit his '78 Standard.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry Chase, but Randall's right. It won't fit on the 78 that I'm resurrecting. If you know of anyone who has an earlier version, please let me know.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
I might have one (or three). I'll try to check condition and verify fitment tomorrow.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay Randall. If it also has the hardware, that would be great.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
I found four here that will fit. All have some surface rust. One was badly welded. Two have mangled turn signal mounts.
Here's the best one.
Electrical wiring Wire Electrical supply Pattern Metal

It looks like it should clean up OK. Yours for shipping, if you want it.
I don't have the associated hardware, at least not without doing a lot of digging in various places. My spare fasteners are spread all over and still need to be sorted. I do have a box of turn signals, if you need those
You might find it all as a kit if you connect with someone who just lopped off the tale end for a cafe/tracker/street fighter/whatever build. Otherwise, look at a parts fiche, and make a list of what you need to source.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found four here that will fit. All have some surface rust. One was badly welded. Two have mangled turn signal mounts.
Here's the best one.
View attachment 210197
I don't have the associated hardware, at least not without doing a lot of digging in various places. My spare fasteners are spread all over and still need to be sorted. I do have a box of turn signals, if you need those
You might find it all as a kit if you connect with someone who just lopped off the tale end for a cafe/tracker/street fighter/whatever build. Otherwise, look at a parts fiche, and make a list of what you need to source.
Here's the best one.
View attachment 210197
Except for some surface rust, it doesn't look that bad. I would like to get the turn signals as well, front and back if they are relatively intact. I am interested, but want to checkout what you stated with the cafe rebuilders. I'll let you know soon.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Randall, if you could give me an idea of the shipping cost, I'd like to go ahead and get them. Also, if you happen to have the headlight and trim for the 78/79 of headlight cowl, I could use one of those. Let me know.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
I have a few of the cowls, but not sure about the headlight, trim ring, etc.
Too bad I didn't check the forum while I was still in the garage. It's all packed away for the night, now. I'll try to get to it some evening this week. If not, it'll be next Saturday.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
No problem. The bike won't really be ready to hit the road until the beginning of spring anyway. Let me know what you find. Also, I have the cowl and some instruments as well. I'm just starting on straightening out the electrics. If you have any extra components you want to get rid of that would fit a 78, let me know.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hello Randall. I am still interested in the grab bar you showed in the picture along with a set of usable turn signals. If you still want to send them, let me know and we can work out something.

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
Sorry I dropped the ball on this. I'll see if I can dig that bar out again and a set of signals.

·
Registered
82 GL500, 78 CX500
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey Randall. Hate to bother you but have you found the parts mentioned?

·
Registered
11,069 Posts
Sorry, I dropped it again. You're looking for the old-style signals, correct?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts