Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I purchased a Barn built (trashed) 1978 UK CX500 a few months ago and possibly made the foolish mistake when stripping it down for shot-blasting to decide upon a complete re-wire as nothing corresponded with any version of wiring diagram available in the book or online! I say foolish as I'm now having real difficulties trying to put it back together electrically and not finding the diagrams that easy to interpret so.......

I have drawn my own wiring diagram from my interpretation of the manual and would be grateful if someone could cast an eye over it and confirm or rip it apart as I'm not getting anywhere fast on this at all (its been 2 weeks of late nights with no headway)!

Even if someone can provide the most simplest of diagrams to enable me to get here started with lights then hopefully i will be able to work the rest out i.e. horn, indicators etc

Additionally I'm finding no reference as to how the ignition connector is wired i.e. in what order (2 rows of 3 pins)

Your assistance is gratefully appreciated and sorry for the state of the drawing (should have got my 3 year old to do it)!

Simon
Worcester - UK

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
A purchased wiring loom still requires to be connected up correctly, plus it doesn't help me understand how it all goes together for future reference so I will hold out for assistance, thanks anyway nolimitz.

·
Registered
7,524 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one but trying to make sense of it is more difficult than I had hoped! Additionally it doesn't provide detail on how the ignition connector is wired (pin out) or wired to and neither does it assist in the likes of the solenoid connections to terminals?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks nolimitz, I didn't realise they were that cheap to be honest but seeing as I have the cables and connectors I will attempt to build this loom a little longer then at least I know it will all be in A1 condition - fall back is eBay

·
Registered
193 Posts
What may be an idea is to get a used one and use that to build the new harness. That way you can see where things go and how it's all wired up. You'l also have the used one as a spare incase anything gots tits up!

·
Registered
7,223 Posts
I agree with Rigal on this one, if you get an existing wiring harness (make sure its for the right bike model/year) you can wire your own using a method thats still being used today, a wiring loom. Basically, you get a large board and lay the existing harness on it, and using nails you mark each "take off" as well as the colors. This allows you to pull a wire color, wrap it around the nails to its proper length, then move to the next color.
One thing to keep in mind when making a harness, make sure your wire gauges are right, as not all wires in the harness may be the same gauge, some may be larger. would absolutely NOT use smaller gauge wire than was originally used, as thats just asking for trouble.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
The wire loom is a great idea when you cannot get a replacement, but gee, why go to the trouble on a CX? I was at the shop where they do my dyno work and they were having trouble with electrical gremlins on a turbo Suzuki. No telling how many hours they spent trying to sort things out, then the shop owner told them to stop and buy a used harness - problem solved. Trying to make your own harness and getting the colors, wire sizes, connectors and everything else right is just such a hassle. I guess you could just use one color of wire and label each with say BL/R to equate to a black and red wire. Study articles on making wiring looms before you pull the trigger on that idea. Hot rod cars all have custom wiring looms that you can buy for 1/2 the price and a 1/20 of the time of doing it yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts