Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all! I bought my first cx500c a few months back got it running and brought it home. I figured I would turn it into my own little project. Started tearing it down last night, and don't have a clue what I'm doing haha. I'm tearing everything apart and rebuilding it and making it look pretty good. I'll post pictures later of the tear down, but was looking for input with what I should do and where I could find some new or decent used parts. Like to start, definitely a new stator! All input is welcome and appreciated!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tried my best to keep it clean... o well. Don't judge the workspace either, 18 year olds only have so much room to work with. Looking for input guys!!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
First time I've seen one pulled in half and still has the rear wheel on. I like it :)

I know you will want to take tons of close up photos and make notes. You will want a box of large ziplock bags to store various hardware and other important pieces together. The Wiki here has tons of information to guide you through the re-build portion, I've consulted it daily for the last week lol.

I'm looking forward to seeing you work on this!

Good luck!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i have continued to tear the whole thing apart and began sandblasting and painting parts of the bike, bought a digital trail tech speedo and tach, sportbike handle bar. I plan on getting a new flatter cafe style seat. I have yet to decide on a headlight and taillight assembly, exhaust, front forks, and tire size. As i make further progress i'll post some new pictures!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Welcome to the forum.
It looks like you're jumping in with both feet. Great. As for where to from here - as suggested above, consult the WiKi. Look up "triple bypass" and consider doing all three. New stators are available, with much information on here as to where to get them and how to install them. That is one of the sainted trinity of the "bypasses". If you're replacing the stator you'll be able to handle the other two - replacing a cam chain and a mechanical seal.
The best advice is to get your bike running well before you start tearing into it to customize it. If you are planning a build, try to have a vision of what you'd like to do to it first. Collect photos of what you'd like to do to it. The exhaust from this bike, the paint from that one etc. Don't worry about copying anyone, before you're finished your design will have changed several times - don't worry about that either.
Good luck on your project - you've made the first step (after getting a CX) and that's joining this forum - it truly is a wonderful resource.

John

1 - 6 of 6 Posts