Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

im really new to the this and i just picked up an '81 cx500 runs great everything works perfect. I got it with the intent to chop it into somewhat of a rat bike. Being new to this i have many dumb questions but i'd rather ask than do it and be sorry. first off the indicator light panel between the speedo and tach i want to remove this but im not all that good with wiring so my question is if i just simply cut the wires to it will the bike still run and do what its suppossed to do. also i want to change the headlight i saw there is a massive bundle of wires going into it is there a circuit box or something like that inside the head light that would make it difficult to change it to a new light. I know these are stupid questions but being 18 with limited knowledge id rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for the help

Seth

·
Registered
851 Posts
Yes the bike will run without any gauges, I currently do not have any of the OEM dash lights or gauges on my CX and it runs normally.

I prefer the term "Survival bike" which is a sub-catagory to "Rat bike" A Survival bike is the Mel Gibson Death Race 2000 type of vehicle ultra reliable, fail-safe, crash through barriers ready for all circumstances, industrial crude but an ultimately effective tool of life support and two wheeled transport. Phew, I'm all tired out just thinking about it. That was fun, Welcome to the board.

Cheers, 50gary

·
Registered
816 Posts
11seth,

Welcome to the forum! Remember, there are no dumb questions. Dumb answers...well, that's another story!

As mentioned the bike will run with out the lights. Note a few things you may want to think about - check with the schematic for clarity (you have a copy of it, right? Inquire within if you need it...it's available online):

1. Do you plan to have some way of checking oil pressure? That red light may be worth keeping if you don't have a guage. I say this, after having a CB750 lose oil pressure to the top end and burn up a cam shaft in the past. That light might save you the engine.

2. Knowing I am in Neutral (green light) is helpful. Just saying...as I have killed the engine in the past at a stop light!

The rest are un-necessary, as a turn signal or high beam isn't going to make or break the day.

A lot of the bike's wiring does terminate in the shell and having a electric schematic, and re-drawing that proposed wiring changes as a new schematic would be a good start to a sucessful rewire. Take your time, because any shortcuts may end up costing more time in troubleshooting, rewiring and frustration.

Post more about your rebuild and you will get plenty of help from us "older" guys. It's nice to see young guys interested in bikes that were HOT when we were your age (and I was 20 when my CX was built in '78, so I can say that!)

BTW, www.wrenchmonkeys.com is doing a CX build that you (& I) may get some real good ideas from!

·
Registered
724 Posts
I removed the center inst. cluster a few months ago and my bike runs fine still. the biggest problem was when i disconnected it i lost the neutral light. which gave me a bunch of problems that led to a wild goose chase for why it wouldn't start. no light meant i didn't realize it was in gear. if you're as stupid as i am you may want to rig even a temporary light to that or leave the bulbs intact so you can see that you are in neutral when you start it. make sure you post pictures. I love rats, as my build shows.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Hey guys

im really new to the this and i just picked up an '81 cx500 runs great everything works perfect. I got it with the intent to chop it into somewhat of a rat bike. Being new to this i have many dumb questions but i'd rather ask than do it and be sorry. first off the indicator light panel between the speedo and tach i want to remove this but im not all that good with wiring so my question is if i just simply cut the wires to it will the bike still run and do what its suppossed to do. also i want to change the headlight i saw there is a massive bundle of wires going into it is there a circuit box or something like that inside the head light that would make it difficult to change it to a new light. I know these are stupid questions but being 18 with limited knowledge id rather be safe than sorry. Thanks for the help

Seth

Welcome to the forum. Like above, you probably want to keep some sort of oil pressure indicator. You also would probably want to keep the wiring to the 7V regulator as that is sends voltage to the temp guage. The headlight bucket is a nest of wiring so you'll definitely want a wiring diagram so you can see what is what, but changing to a new or different headlight isn't difficult. I know a few people on here have changed to high intensity bulb systems. If you don't have one yet, definitely pick up or download or acquire in some way a shop manual, it will help even if you're chopping and changing things.

·
Registered
458 Posts
The wiring nest in the headlight bucket, was built so that everything was modular. EG:Blow a rectifier, just un-clip the connector from the harness and clip in a new one. Trouble with that is, there are about 6 or 7 connectors all in the headlight bucket.

If you're not good at wiring, leave it alone. If you're semi-skilled, cut all the connectors off and solder the wires directly together. If you're feeling lucky and brave, throw the wiring loom in the bin and replace it with 7-core trailer wire or similar.

Welcome to the fray...

·
Registered
35 Posts
WORD OF CAUTION BEFORE CHOPPING OR BOBBING OR MAJOR CUSTOM FRAME WORK CHECK WITH YOU STATE LAWS ABOUT COMPLIANCE I.E. TURN SIGNALS ETC. MANY STATES REQUIRE CETIN THINNGS AND COPS LOVE TO HASSLE BIKERS IN OHIO YOU CAN GET A 1000 $$$ FINE FOR NOT HAVING TURN SIGNALS AFTER MODEL YEAR 1968 (very crappy im still paying the fine!)i bobbed mine a few years ago, heres what i learned hard tails look cool ride like shit if you do that get a springer seat while no lights look good.

some you need i used a hydraulic quick coupler switch plate that had 3 leds in it but radio shack has that stuff too you can fab aplate or box to runs the wires into and then place the leds anywhere you want i moved my speedo to the left headlight brace and mounted the led's on top it looks ok and still lets me see neutral oil and high beam.

also update your profile with location when you can if your near columbus ohio i would lend you my help.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Couple of other things: There is a diode in the circuit that is used for .... uh, gotta look at the manual, I forgot what for!
On some models it's in the fuse block attached to the fork along with the handle bar clamp, so you may want to keep that as well. On my '78 that diode is wired in next to the fuses.

Yep, if you want that temp gauge to work, need the 7 volt regulator.

It has been mentioned before in past posts, but you will want to swap out the fuse link on the main 12volt line off the battery with something more substantial. So there is some important wiring under the cover next to the battery as well.

The starting in neutral issue is also reliant on the safety switch built into the clutch handle. You can start the bike out of neutral when you have the clutch lever pulled in. Forgot about that one too.

Did we forget anything else?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.