Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

This is my first post on this forum and greatly excited to be apart of it.

At the moment I am looking for recommendations on some progressive shocks for the back end of my 81' CX500.

My current stocks shocks are blown and are as stiff as a board. Every time I hit a bump the bike wants to throw me off. So about 70% of the time I find myself hovering over the seat.

So with this being the case i'm looking for some progressive shocks in the $200 range that have an external reservoir.

To be honest I still don't know the eyelet measurements or anything (nothing that Google can't solve).

Just seeing what some of you might recommend!

A friend of mine told me that awhile ago he was on this forum all the time and there was a tread dedicated to progressive shocks that won't break the bank. If anyone might be able to point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

-Chuck

·
Registered
328 Posts
The Progressive brand are expensive. Have you thought about trying a set of harley shocks? I have a set on mine, and they can be had for under $100 delivered all day on ebay, even cheaper on craigslist. Not trying to dissuade you here.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been reading some threads on the topic and see that there are a good amount of guys out there who are using Harley shocks and are liking them. I'm starting to play around with the idea of maybe getting some. I weigh about 145 -150 but would also like the option to double up adding about 130lbs. At the same time I don't want to stiff of a ride. The lack of experience or knowledge is making it hard for me to narrow down my search.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I'm 175 and mounted some slightly shorter sportster shocks on my '81. They work well. Since they were free they work even better. Push out the bushings, replace with the honda bushings, then mount.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Just a thought. Did you know the shocks have load adjustability?

You might want to take a look at them. Perhaps they are set on the high load setting. If so, then you could try dropping the load setting down to the 2nd or 1st position.

FWIW, I tip the scale at 215 lb. My rear shocks are set on the 3rd position. Air up front is set a 13 psi.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a thought. Did you know the shocks have load adjustability?

You might want to take a look at them. Perhaps they are set on the high load setting.
That I actually did know. Me and 2 of my other friends here in Atlanta all ride CX500 and one of them is a cx nut. Let him take it for a ride and mess around with the load settings and nothing helped at all. For the record they were OEM shocks. All of our shocks were set to the same settings and one of them weighs even less than me. The second I sat on one of theirs it was obvious something was wrong with mine.

Thanks for bringing that up because I can see how that might be overlooked.

Chuck

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I bought the bike the previous owner took out the smaller spacer springs in the front end. Which causes there to be a lot of travel in the front suspension when you hit the front brake. I'm assuming they did it to lower the front end but it leads to poor handling in corners and quite frankly scares the crap out of me when I need to stop fast. So the front end is a completely different story but I have the proper parts to sort that one out. I'm going to try out the pvc trick and see how it does.

Chuck

1 - 8 of 8 Posts