Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys me again, I finally got past the last major hold ups around my CX (like the majorly damaged water pump mechanical seal, don't know why I thought it was still OK to run) but she still wont run except on ether.

She kicks once or twice if I let it sit for a little while but it seems like there isn't enough gas coming from my pilot jets or maybe getting to them, I don't rightfully know which jets feed the engine on start or what might be causing this issue. what I do know is that I have gas in my carbs, I have spark, my timing seems to be fine, and she'll rev like a demon when there's some ether in the air but I do not believe that there is enough gas coming from my carbs, I've adjusted the little brass screw up front from fully closed to wide open but nothing seems to get it to kick.

Sorry if I'm explaining this poorly but basically I got gas in the bowls, I have spark, my timing seems correct but it only seems to fire when without ether is if I let the bike sit for a few minutes which I believe is because there is something slowing the amount of gas going through my carbs.

Thank you guys for what ever help you've got, feel free to ask for more clarification.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Stopped up pilot or idle jets most likely. Time to pull the carbs and spray-check all the passages.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Lay off the ether before you ruin the rubber components. Do that and you will have a bigger problem and expense.

If you have not dissembled and cleaned ever nook and cranny of your carbs do so now.
Start by ordering Larry’s Carb Bible.

Screwing around with ether is just wasting time and ruining carb parts.

By the way the very first thing I do when I acquire another old motorcycle is strip and dip the carbs in a ultrasonic bath cleaning every pathway.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited by Moderator)
I've cleaned the carbs and replaced most of the components with a new jets and seals, I sprayed out most of the components with cleaner but I don't have access to an ultrasonic bath so I cant really give them a dip. I'm not sure what passage I have yet to clean or which passage leads to the pilot but I guess Ill just gut them and see if there's any other spots that I might have missed. I am also wondering if there is anyway to tell if gas is getting to the jet, like should gas come out of the bottom when I remove the brass screw and spring or is it normal for nothing to come out when the screw is removed.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
354 Posts
In the absence of a chemical or ultrasonic immersion cleaner, you can boil your carb bodies once you have stripped them of all the removable components. Upon removing the mixture needle and spring, there will still be a tiny washer and o-ring in the cavity, don't lose them. That is an air mixture screw that will affect idle fuel when running, but no fuel comes out of it when removed. Each of the 2 mixture needles will have a spring, followed by a washer, & topped by a tiny o-ring.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts

·
Super Moderator
21,658 Posts
I've cleaned the carbs and replaced most of the components with a new jets and seals, I sprayed out most of the components with cleaner but I don't have access to an ultrasonic bath so I cant really give them a dip. I'm not sure what passage I have yet to clean or which passage leads to the pilot but I guess Ill just gut them and see if there's any other spots that I might have missed. I am also wondering if there is anyway to tell if gas is getting to the jet, like should gas come out of the bottom when I remove the brass screw and spring or is it normal for nothing to come out when the screw is removed.

Thanks for the input.

It's definitely not normal for no fuel to come out if you undo the drain screw in the float bowl. If you get some clear 4 mm tube the level in the float bowl can be monitored. Put it on the drain nipple and hold it up the side of the carb and open the drain screw a couple of turns.

Remove the fuel line from the carb and check that fuel is in fact flowing from the tank.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, looks like I got it running after cleaning out those jets with a few sprays of carb cleaner and some persistence, she still needs to be tuned as its idling to low but all is well... except for my frothy white oil from my mechanical seal leaking, thank you guys for the help, every little bit helps and I greatly appreciate it. at least this new issue is something I know how to deal with.

·
Super Moderator
4,292 Posts
Is the weep hole plugged?

·
Registered
993 Posts
I have saved engines immersed in saltwater by draining the oil and filling with kerosene and 90% isopropyl alcohol 50%-50%.

The ipa absorbs the water and the kerosene helps with the oil. Hand crank with spark plugs out by turning the rear wheel while in 4th gear.

Do this two or three times. Then fill with oil and get to to operating temperature with NO load. Drain the oil.
Refill and go for a ride. Oil should not be milky now. Drain and refill again. Should be good to go.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts