Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This 79 cx500 Custom sat for years. I cleaned it up, rebuilt carbs, brakes,removed the mouse nest and fixed the inevitable turn signal problems. Rode the bike maybe 40 miles, then returned home. Less than a block from home, the oil/engine light comes on and stays on. Damn! Looked for a broken oil pump chain or a hosed oil pump. Both are fine. The oil lines up front were clean. The only recent thing I did was change the oil. Bolt, spring, washer, filter. Got that right.

I'm afraid to run it till I resolve the oil/engine light problem. What should I try next?

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Check the oil level - make sure it is registering on the dipstick - and have you put the oil filter/washer in place correctly...

Is the oil pressure sender still connected electrically - other than that it is a warning that all is not good

take a valve cover off and start the bike - oil should be splashing about - or remove the inspection/breather cap at rear of motor and oil should be slpashing about here as well

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I replaced a burned out brake light bulb and voila! The problem went away. The idiot light takes another victim. Thanks for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts