Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm now the proud owner of a 1981 cx500, and I'm planning on a restoration/ cafe racer project.

The bike I've bought is a runner and has 55000miles on the clock. Although it's a runner I'm wanting to strip down the engine and replace all the gaskets ands seals, nuts and bolts and perhaps go as far as the piston rings, clutch and so on.

Just wondering what you more experienced guys out there would recommend changing and would recommend leaving.

Also on the subject of gaskets and seals, anybody out there know of a good quality manufacturer of gaskets and seals (I've heard Athena and so on aren't the best quality) that sells a full set for your engine, gearbox, carb. Ideally I would like to have all the parts I need to rebuild it before I strip it down.

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
If the camchain and mechanical seal have been replaced and the stator is good I wouldn't drop the engine. Maybe take the front cover off and check the oil pump screen if you wanted to get in there. If the compression test checks out leave the rings alone, imho!

Unless the gaskets are leaking, best left alone.

·
Registered
9,052 Posts
Test lots of things first. How's compression? What results do you get from resistance checks on the alternator? Leaks anywhere?

Removing the front and rear covers to take a look isn't too big a deal -- just the cost of gaskets, o-rings, and probably mech seal. Probably worthwhile to replace the oil pump chain while you're there. It's inexpensive, and doesn't have much adjustment range. Leave the clutch plates unless they're under spec, but replace the springs.

Leave the heads alone, unless there's a problem.

R

·
Registered
188 Posts
When you say "runner", how good a runner? If it runs good and doesn't have any leaks, knocks or ticks, I wouldn't touch it. Get yourself a dental mirror and inspect the cam chain. If these engines are well maintained and not driven crazy hard, they last a long time. Don't let 55,000 miles scare you. There's a sticky on here outlining everything you should check on the bike. Good luck

·
Registered
829 Posts
Ride it and have fun. I have almost 70,000. It was a non runner at 45,000. Did some seals, cam chain, since it was never adjusted or the valves. It was wrecked three times by the previous owner. Only had one brake, the rear.
I just now replaced the old CDI to Ignitech. That old engine feels like new.
The compression test at 45,000 was very good.
I thought it ran well before.
Now it is even better.
Oh! The carb's were a big mess.
I went an redid GL 500 system (1982) carbs to fit my cx500c.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys, think I'm going to give the carbs a good service and rebalance them, replace the mech seal and check the cam chain. If the compression tests come out fine leave everything else. Everybody think this is a good plan of attack?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts