Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm new here and figured I'd just jump right in.
I am currently building my 82 cx500c that I bought about a year ago for a pretty good deal, in my mind anyway. Basically the bike was ridden for 1,6xx miles and then parked in 84. Fast forward to a year ago and I bought it and stripped it. It sat for th better part of that year until a couple of months ago when I really started to dig into it. I have changed my mind on several things several times during the last few months, but its all starting to come together quite nicely, I like think so anyway. I have talked to a couple of members in here via craigslist and have landed here many times due to google. So, I figured its finally time to join. Hope I can help answer some questions with what I've done so far and maybe get a little help from you all in return.

As soon as I can figure out how to post pictures from my phone, I'll get on to the good part.

Josh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

So this it what it looked like the day I brought it home.

And this is probably the best representation of where it is today.

The fork is off if a 2004 cbr600rr along with the front and rear brake calipers. The rear shock is from a 2000 cbr600f4. As for the rear frame and suspension mounts, that's all out of my brain haha

I am also currently working on a spoke wheel conversion with the gl1000 rear hub. This is that hub with a cbr1000f rear rotor mounted to it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks lacher.

When I first started, I went with a regular rear hoop. Then after I decided to go to a monoshock I decided that the back of the frame had to change also and that's how I ended up where I am now.

This is a better view of the rear tail section. I couldn't find a better place to put the rear light, so I just decided to fit it into the tail. I still haven't decided where the turn signals are going haha

Here are some shots of the rear shock mounts that I made.

And these are the clip ons that I built. I couldn't find any others that I liked so this was the result.

Josh

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Troutbum and ChiveCK, thanks! This is my first motorcycle and build of this kind so this forum and the internet in general have been a huge help.

Here's what I've been working on this weekend. I bought a cb750 hub for the front and the front rotors from a cbr1100xx and made them all work on the cbr600rr fork.

I had to turn down the axle to 20mm and get new 6004 bearings for the hub, then machine a crush sleeve for the inside of the hub. I still need to make spacers, but I'm still going to try to mount the cb750 Speedo driver, which I will get tomorrow.
I also machined a tool for the bearing retainer out if a big impact socket.

Here's the hub with the bearings and sleeve.

and here's my take on how to mount the rotors to the hub. I figured out the difference between the two bolt patterns and bored .5" holes through the hub, to the rotor bolt pattern. Then I cut six individual pieces of aluminum solid bar and drilled and tapped those in both ends to m6 x 1.0,seems to fit up pretty well with the rotors spinning true and, from what I can see, balanced.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've been super busy this past week and haven't had time to keep this updated. I'm also terrible at taking pictures of everything. The latest is that my wheels are finished, the swing arm has been modified further and I'm on to the last little bits of fab work. Here's a few pictures of what I've been up to. I'm trying to have this thing rideable within the next few days, which I know is going to be tough, but I'll make it happen somehow haha.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Steve F, yeah I like the look of them and seeing as how this is my first motorcycle, I won't be using all of that handling and stopping right away. Also, they're replaceable haha ;)
Troutbum, thanks! The exhaust will be 2 into 1 of some kind, but that's just gonna kinda be whatever comes to mind at the moment. Seeing as how I'm coming up short on time, the real challenge will be keeping it simple and not let all the crazy ideas make it onto the bike haha.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Making a bit more progress tonight. Here's my take on shift linkage for rearsets. Pretty happy with how it came out. No binding, smooth action and the pivot uses a brass bushing in it that's available at the local hardware store.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Making a bit more progress tonight. Here's my take on shift linkage for rearsets. Pretty happy with how it came out. No binding, smooth action and the pivot uses a brass bushing in it that's available at the local hardware store.
Looks great but have you sat on the bike and put your foot under it for up shifting? Seems a bit steep to me. Either way, great design.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
ChiveCK, yeah I actually moved it up just a little bit from where it is in this picture, shortly after I posted this. The linkage it adjustable so it wasn't a huge deal.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, it still needs a lot of work, but its off the table and rolling. Gotta hook up the carbs and wiring but I'm hoping to start it today or tomorrow. I still plan on tearing it back down and powder coating everything and cleaning it up a bit. The rear suspension is also getting re done soon. This spring is way too soft with the way its mounted. I will be swapping it out for a 2008 cbr600rr shock with the pro-link linkage.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So it's been a really long time since I've posted on here but I recently received a request for an update. The bike has gone through a few changes since my last post. The 2008 cbr600rr rear shock was put in place while maintaining (modified/shortened proportiinately) Honda pro-link linkage. It works great and the bike rides really well. Here's a shot of the swing arm after all of the fab and then a shot of the bike where it stands currently. There are a few changes in the works, including a 17" x 4.5" rear rim to support new "real" tires, slightly modifying the exhaust and a small front fender. The seat is also on it at this point but I don't have a good shot of it. uploadfromtaptalk1426974493586.jpg uploadfromtaptalk1426974511771.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Great looking build! huge lengths you've gone to to make it a modern sport bike.
With the exhaust exiting where it is you'll never have a cold right leg!!
I'd love to see the rest of the exhaust system. It's similar to what I need for my CX650. Where did you source the mandrel bent pipes for your headers?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
@redonblackpete thanks! The exhaust exit is actually completely behind my leg and hasn't been an issue. With the positioning of the rearsets and everything else, my knees hitting the valve covers has been more of an issue than anything and even at that it hasn't really been that big of an issue. I used to work in a shop that specialized in mandrel bent tubing so believe it or not, the whole system was built out of what I could find in the scrap bin haha. Here's a shot of the whole exhaust system off of the bike. uploadfromtaptalk1426993277498.jpg

·
Registered
69 Posts
Now you've made me JEALOUS!! An exhaust made from what you could find around the shop! Are you using Murray's carb set-up? I wonder what he thinks about your exhaust system, he has some well defined ideas about how an exhaust system should look. Maybe you could find enough scraps lying around the shop to build a system for my bike!!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts