Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 140 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
CX500 Streetfighter / CX500RR - Monoshock Frame/Seat Mod

Fairly new to post on the forum but wanted thank everyone for some really great info. Well, I figured it’s my time to share…So I’ve got several CX500s one of which is a ’80 Deluxe that’s a work in progress and slated to become a streetfighter style bike. Recently finished installing a ’05 600rr front end (thank you payne3001 – great directions!) which is definitely be a nice upgrade in suspension and braking. Now I’m moving on to the rear suspension and decided to do a monoshock which will also address the low seat height on the CX. I’m not a fabricator and I’m not going to kid myself that I could pull off a job like this so I asked a friend of a friend who’s an actual professional. Instead just mounting the shock between the center tube of the frame and the swing arm (just in front of the rear tire) which puts the shock at an 80+/- degree angle we’re taking a different route. The top of the shock will still be mounted using the center tube of the frame but we'll be building arms that will come off of the lower shock mounts of the swing arm.
Right now only the arms have been made and the CXs frame has been cut.

Here’s a few pics of the bike and the work thus far on the monoshock project. Here are links to youtube videos (current video is only of tube bending) by the fabricator.

His website TJS Performance if you want to check out his work.
Stay tuned more to come.

photo 2.JPG 2014-03-30_16-36-52_865 (2).jpg 2014-03-30_16-36-48_914 (2).jpg 2014-03-30_16-36-38_698 (2).jpg

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
So, is that going to be flexible, with another link to a point low on the center frame tube? Or rigid with a strut to the front of the swing arm? Either way, be sure to make allowance to disconnect it from the final drive, or you'll have trouble mounting and dismounting the wheel.

R

·
Registered
400 Posts
Make sure you strengthen the swingarm on the final drive side. That side of the swingarm will be carrying the load coming through the rear shock; you do not want to have it fold on you on the first significant bump.

Also, keep in mind the stiffness of the rear spring on the shock. You are not only going from 2 to 1 spring, but it appears you are mounting the shock at a more inclined angle than stock. You can work it out mathematically, but eyeballing it, I'd say the spring has to be (twice + 50% stiffer). So, you had in effective 250 lb/in rate from 2 rear shocks, you may need a shock with 375 lb/in rate. That is a stiff spring, so make sure the structure is sufficiently beefed up.

If you get it done, you will have the only bike setup this way. Good luck.

Jerry

·
Registered
807 Posts
This is a wild build, I like it. Thinking outside the box and updating a classic, Cool.

Reactions: Phil in Vermont

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
that shadow monoshock may be a little short in travel distance it is very limited till it hits the bumper

i had one on my cx500 and it would ride up on the bumper and that was even with a 450 lbs spring

i am now using a busa one with a custom spring

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Murray - Can you send or post a pic of your CX with the monoshock? I'm interested in seeing how you fabricated yours.
Thanks!

·
Registered
207 Posts
I like this build. Gonna have a mean stance. Make sure you throw murrays carbs on it so it has the performance to back up the look.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Murray - Thanks for the pic. Rolltide thanks for comments...yeah definitely looking for the bike to have that "mean stance".

Seat frame is coming along and nearly done. The seat itself is from "tuffside".

photo 22 (5).JPG photo 1 (4).JPG photo 2 (4).JPG photo 3 (3).JPG photo 4.JPG

·
Registered
24,209 Posts
that swing arm angle is so far off the output shaft angle that if you are actually going to ride it put a saftey plate at the ujoint coupling near the back of the motor

either the drive shaft ujoint or the output shaft will break so you still have a foot/ankle

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
that swing arm angle is so far off the output shaft angle that if you are actually going to ride it put a saftey plate at the ujoint coupling near the back of the motor

either the drive shaft ujoint or the output shaft will break so you still have a foot/ankle
I've been toying with the idea of replacing the u-joint with a Rzeppa CV joint from a small car. But I don't know if I could find one small enough to fit inside the bell of the swing arm.

R

·
Registered
9,038 Posts
I've been toying with the idea of replacing the u-joint with a Rzeppa CV joint from a small car. But I don't know if I could find one small enough to fit inside the bell of the swing arm.
I've noticed that 4WD ATVs use a pair of half-axles, similar to a FWD car. Those should be smaller. But small enough?

R

1 - 20 of 140 Posts