Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,215 Posts
The swings arm needs to be reinforced where the attachment is made. The upper end is made of stamped metal, and was not designed for a point load in front of the wheel. You would need to weld on a heavy plate that spans the whole upper surface in front of the wheel. I'm hesitant to try it until I'm a much better welder with the proper equipment.

R

·
Registered
3 Posts
You could look for a cx500 eurosport which already has the monoshock in place or the gl500 which also comes with a stock mono setup.
I took the Gl500 route to build my cafe racer.
Cheers,
Willem

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could look for a cx500 eurosport which already has the monoshock in place or the gl500 which also comes with a stock mono setup.
I took the Gl500 route to build my cafe racer.
Cheers,
Willem
I looked up the GL500 swing arm. Is this a direct fit-up or did you have to modify the swing-arm/frame?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The GL arm is NOT a direct fit, but not a difficult conversion.

You "can"...and when you read that add a LOT of inflection on the work "can"...direct mount with no reinforcement. The swingarm can handle it.

That's a CBR954RR shock with a Kawasaki 650 Ninja spring and collars. I had to use the swingarm and a ratcheting winch to compress the Ninja spring to fit it on the shock. That particular spring is in excess of 17kg/mm...it is very stout. The swingarm did not flex or bend during this process. I very strongly suggest reinforcing the arm, however, because there's simply no reason no to.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
I looked up the GL500 swing arm. Is this a direct fit-up or did you have to modify the swing-arm/frame?
Willem use a GL500, frame and all. A GL500 swing arm can be fitted to a CX500 frame but it is not a direct bolt on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts