Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
which has the two nec alloy contol boxes under the seat?

The later electronic Ignition TAI type engines

The CDI engines have a Black/Silver or Gold box on top of the rear guard under the seat just back from the Airbox.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Is the tai a wasted sprark system?

Both CDI and transistorized CX`s have a wasted spark ignition system because they both get their timing pulses form the crankshaft not the camshaft.

The crankshaft doesn`t know whether it`s on the exhaust or compression stroke so you get the spark plug firing every time the crankshaft-mounted firing doo-dah sweeps past the pulser - once every crankshaft rotation/twice per four stroke cycle.

Cars for example have distributors which run at half engine speed/off the camshaft so each plug only fires once for a particular cylinder and thus do not have a spare spark system.

I think i`m right in saying the CX Turdo`s have the ignition pulser plate and the triggering `pip` mounted on the camshft (in a separate housing behind the water pump) so they also do not use the spare spark ignition. I suppose that extra spark during valve overlap at the end of the exhaust stroke is undesirable on the blown CX engine?

·
Registered
5,563 Posts
thats my take as well Eurovee.

and the reason the cam cant be 180d out

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.