Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1980 CX500
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been searching through this site and all the posts about this seem to be old or have no answer. Is there currently a full bolt on intake manifold that actually works for the CX500 (1980). I have my bike running pretty great, thanks again to everyone for the help on my first post! I'm still not riding much because it's running VERY lean, waiting on brake lines, and waiting on new tires, but it starts and runs great around the neighborhood as long as I'm not giving it the beans. Now I have a bunch of new jets that will be here on Friday to start testing the best option for my elevation (900ish ft above sea level) and tune. My intake boots are currently not leaking, but they are in bad shape and I'm pretty sure that when I remove the carbs to change the jets that the boots will crumble. What did you guys do about this, and is there a more modern option than the 6-10 year old posts about this. Thanks!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've been searching through this site and all the posts about this seem to be old or have no answer. Is there currently a full bolt on intake manifold that actually works for the CX500 (1980). I have my bike running pretty great, thanks again to everyone for the help on my first post! I'm still not riding much because I'm VERY lean, waiting on brake lines, and waiting on new tires, but it starts and runs great around the neighborhood as long as I'm not giving it much throttle. Now I have a bunch of new jets that will be here on Friday to start testing the best option for my elevation (900ish ft above sea level) and tune. My intake boots are currently not leaking, but they are in bad shape and I'm pretty sure that when I remove the carbs to change the jets that the boots will crumble. What did you guys do about this, and is there a more modern option than the 6-10 year old posts about this. Thanks!
Reproduction CX500 carb boots are available on Ebay and elsewhere but quality seems to be poor according to people here.

Murray of Murrays carbs makes aluminum intakes with rubber spigots to replace the stock intakes. Murrays Carbs or contact "murrayf" here.

Or you can do as I've done, I bought some large heat shrink tubing (like what you use on electrical wire but much larger) and apply it over the rubber part of the original intakes.

·
Registered
1980 CX500
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reproduction CX500 carb boots are available on Ebay and elsewhere but quality seems to be poor according to people here.

Murray of Murrays carbs makes aluminum intakes with rubber spigots to replace the stock intakes. Murrays Carbs or contact "murrayf" here.

Or you can do as I've done, I bought some large heat shrink tubing (like what you use on electrical wire but much larger) and apply it over the rubber part of the original intakes.
The shrink wrap is starting to look like the best bet, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,924 Posts
FWIW, when one of the ones on my CX650 cracked I patched it with Shoe Goo and it held for many years (probably still holding but I haven't looked at it since I changed to a GL500 engine & carbs).

·
Premium Member
1978 CX500 "The Grub", 1983 GL650I "Nimbus"
12,452 Posts
Reactions: Notilloc

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
18,924 Posts
I imagine there are a few things that would work. I just used Shoe Goo because I had it and figured if it would stick to one kind of rubber boots (footwear) it would probably stick to the other kind ;-)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts