Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wonder whether someone has ever checked the ignition timing ( CX500 C, CDI) with aid of a stoboscope lamp ?
Would you need such a cap on the inspection opening or would it work without ? Would it be an oily mess without the cap ?

·
Super Moderator
3,258 Posts
For those that haven't seen it, the original Honda see-through cover may inspire some ideas...

·
Registered
24,166 Posts
i use a cardboard toilet paper roll pressed over the hole then shine the light into the tube
its not the timing i check its the advance operation the timing is fixed
and you need to check each cylinder for proper timing advance they are separate
from left to right one each

·
Super Moderator
20,521 Posts
I'm going to make an approximation of the factory cap in JCs link now that I've seen it.

I also have started down an alternate path - an adaptor to hang a degree wheel off of the front of the crankshaft, retained by a modified inspection cap..

·
Super Moderator
20,521 Posts
Aaahh .... I always thought it was 3.56. Bad memory.

Aside from getting it clear of inside the engine the degree wheel mount will need to be long enough to put the wheel in front of the radiator requiring some sort of front mount but it would be better than looking at a window being spattered with oil. My attempts last week were totally unsuccessful, though I've done it a number of times before. Without a lense I couldn't see anything - nor with one. And the oil is clean.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Yes. Oily mess.

The method I used is as follows.
Reduce the oil by 1/2 quart.
Place bike on side stand.
Open port.
Cover with clear packing tape.
Observe the best you can.

Tip: a helper to hold the throttle at engine speed while you look is very handy. Fresh oil is easier to see through.

·
Super Moderator
20,521 Posts
Seems to me that aside from the windage most of the oil is centrifugal sling from the rotor. It also seems to me that Honda could have put a baffle rib in the right side of the rear cover below the inspection port and prevented some?, much? of this.

And you remind me, I did forget to suck out half a litre of oil.

That'll be your problem .....

i'm going with the degree wheel idea though. A wheel ten or twelve inches across can be read with much greater ease and accuracy, aside from the oleaginous aspect.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Seems like years ago, but I once decided I really needed to see if 4 CDI boxes (OEM, all working), were the same. Used a bit of plastic to cover the inspection hole, didn't work too well - still got oil all over the place. (and the 4 boxes proved to be so different I decided to invest in an Ignitech).

Here's the solution I came up with :

this is an oil level gauge plug as often seen on compressors etc, thread 30mm, pitch 1,5 mm (if I remember correctly, please check), just remove the level indicator cross from the inside.

Cost about 2 Euro or so from a well known Chinese supplier, effect is same as Honda tool.
I've never had a reason to use it so far, but it should work .....:cool:

Reactions: CXPHREAK

·
Registered
392 Posts
I wonder whether someone has ever checked the ignition timing ( CX500 C, CDI) with aid of a stoboscope lamp ?
Would you need such a cap on the inspection opening or would it work without ? Would it be an oily mess without the cap ?
I tried it a long time ago with a oil mess. Since then i have herd that I should have Removed from 1 pint to 1 quart oil. I presume bring it to the bottom of the dipstick. Let us know if you try it.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hi brinkcx, that appears to cover my needs - thanks. Though cardboard toilet paper roll may be an option I'll try. Problem is you cannot buy toilet paper thises days, peole stormed the shops and all is sold out ... possibly you can make some cool meals for your family with toilet paper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just returned from a few test with makeshift covers. All found pipes and toilet paper stuff without a glass cover at the end is rubbish, drops of oil splashing out of the opening. I thought a small preserving jar would do it but the glass bottom is too thick to monitor the generator wheel.
To be continued.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@murrayf: no, skipped that. just ordered an oil gauge from amazon, 30mm /1.5 thread. Would possible even work as a unique cap for the opening in the front cover ...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts