Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a cx500 that has already had a front end swap done. The only issue is that the wheels now do not match, which will not work for me. I want to make the stock comstock wheel work with the yzf600r front end that is on the bike, but want to keep the dual disks that are mounted on the forks. Has anyone had any experience with mounting a different style rotor onto the original wheels? My idea was to have some kind of adapter machined to make them work. Just curious if anyone has any good ideas or warnings before I start attempting this.

·
Registered
24,319 Posts
make sure your wallet is in good shape machining adapters is not cheap nor are conversion bearings or custom axles

also check that the front end is mounted properly and has no play in it and has good bearings

at a minimum place a jack under the engine lift the front wheel up a bit and pull and push on the forks to check for play

i have seen these front ends not mounted safely then the owner bails on the bike and does not disclose this to the new owner

CHECK THIS OUT FOR YOUR SELF

·
Registered
594 Posts
We were waiting to put in a late bid on your bike (sold in WI?) on eBay. Guess it was sold locally. I was hoping for that front end. While I do endorse checking things the way Murray suggested, from his previous builds, I would say the seller is very astute at these types of conversions. But check anyway.

Best of luck getting the wheels to match. I would suggest starting with a dual disc CB750 or Goldwing Comstar front wheel of the same vintage ('79 - '82 or so) and working back from there. Murray is right, it's going to take time, effort and money (lots) to make it happen.

If you ever want to swap front ends, I have several CX models that have shortened stantion tubes, machined and set up properly with progressive springs. Single disc, though...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts