Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Generally people buy mandrel bent tubing and cut and weld as necessary. Either stainless steel or mild steel. Here is one reference in my country, I'm sure there must be such suppliers in Europe. https://www.mandrelbending.ca/

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Generally people buy mandrel bent tubing and cut and weld as necessary. Either stainless steel or mild steel. Here is one reference in my country, I'm sure there must be such suppliers in Europe. https://www.mandrelbending.ca/
Okay, thank You. What about this muffler/collector box? Shiuld I just stuff the wool inside, or should it be strategically placed, I'm guessing it's too loud if i don't put anything inside.

·
Super Moderator
6,123 Posts
Loudness would depend on the design of the interior baffles. The one pictured doesn't look like it could be packed with wool. Of course if you build your own then anything is possible.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Here's a 2 into 1 I found on eBay and mated a Yoshi can to it. Sounds great, runs great. No bike mods needed and it works with the center stand.
Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

Reactions: XXWoodmanXX

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,584 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Designing your own exhausts is a pretty interesting science. When I bought the Kawasaki H2 Ninja back in 2015 I was watching for improved exhaust to come out. In talking with the normal header builders, no one was able to improve on the Kawasaki design. The early pipes were all loud and offered virtually no benefit (except to the builder's wallet). Depending on what modifications you have made to your motor, I would suggest trying to stick to Honda's dimensions as close as possible and try to keep the pipes equal length.

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
820 Posts
How hard is it to make custom exhaust tubing? What kind of tubing should be used? I really like this setup. If anyone has any ideas or tips, I'd be gratefull. View attachment 191121
All that heat next to my right foot where the riding peg is??? Looks nice, but, I think that would be a no on my bike. I like sound out of my bike, not that much. Nice welding job !!!!!!

·
Super Moderator
'84 CX650E that is evolving into a GL500
19,584 Posts
Not to mention exhaust fumes rising from right underneath you when you are stopped. And speaking as someone that studied acoustics, unless there is some magic that defies physics going on inside that little box I seriously doubt that it can compensate for the short overall length of the exhaust system in any meaningful way so it will probably be noisy (I mean unpleasant/nasty/ratty sounding) and not help it make any more power either.

In other words, it may look nice on a show piece that is never actually ridden but it will contribute to making the bike something you can't actually stand being on for more than a few minutes at a time.

·
Registered
34 Posts
How hard is it to make custom exhaust tubing? What kind of tubing should be used? I really like this setup. If anyone has any ideas or tips, I'd be gratefull. View attachment 191121 View attachment 191123
Did you ever end up doing this or buying one of these? The company that is making them and selling them is BBCR (this is probably old news/obvious to some on this site. My apologies. I've been away for a while). Here's the link to that exhaust.

Listed at $1400 - $1500! Says the store is not yet accepting payments (as of July 8, 2020).

They have another design listed at $900 which could help eliminate some of the noise and fumes problems suggested in this thread.

I was thinking about building something similar as well. Possibly never going 2 into 1 and perhaps a bit longer, but staying under the bike for a cleaner look. I'll post if I tackle it.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
Did you ever end up doing this or buying one of these? The company that is making them and selling them is BBCR (this is probably old news/obvious to some on this site. My apologies. I've been away for a while). Here's the link to that exhaust.

Listed at $1400 - $1500! Says the store is not yet accepting payments (as of July 8, 2020).

They have another design listed at $900 which could help eliminate some of the noise and fumes problems suggested in this thread.

I was thinking about building something similar as well. Possibly never going 2 into 1 and perhaps a bit longer, but staying under the bike for a cleaner look. I'll post if I tackle it.

BBCR is kind of a joke around here. Be very careful sending $$ you may wait a LONG time

1 - 16 of 16 Posts