Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for someone that rebuilt the petcock, as mine is leaking from the plate that prevents the selector from coming off. I guessing that the X-ring or the selector oring are busted.
I think that the same petcock is shared between the CX650E, CX400E, GL and customs too.

Also, if someone knows a replacement of this petcock (18mm thread), let me now, as I might replace it instead of rebuild it.

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
There are rebuild kits available but they only include the parts for the vacuum valve. Unfortunately, after many years of exposure to fuel the rubber "wafer" in the petcock's main valve tends to harden and either tear or just stop sealing to the handle. Wafers are available for some motorcycle petcocks but they have never been available for this one and none of the ones for other petcocks that have been tried have been satisfactory.

Aftermarket replacements for the 18mm vacuum petcock are available but most people convert to non-vacuum type petcocks. They are about half the price and eliminate the hard starting after sitting for a few days issue common with vacuum petcocks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might just switch to a non vacuum petcock, as is easier to find a M18 thread petcock than a rebuild kit. Thanks for the advice!

·
Super Moderator
13,809 Posts
When you change to a non-vacuum type you have to cap the barb on the right hand carb where the vacuum line connects. Other than that the only other issue is that most non-vacuum ones have 6mm fuel line barbs and the one on your carbs is 8mm so you need to use a good hose clamp to squeeze the 8mm fuel line onto the 6mm barb.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts