Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I apologize if this has been discussed before, but after a few searches I can't find what I need.

I have a brand new/old CX500 crate engine. Don't know the year. Can probably trace it with the serial numbers. Murray has graciously offered to give me some pointers on getting it running safely. (I will call. I promise).

I also have two titled, almost complete GL500 basket cases. One engine is dead. The other is high mileage, full of neglect and leaks, and sitting for years.

Obviously (to me) the smart thing to do is a build with the better of the GL500 frames, the CX500 engine, and what ever extra parts I need for the build scavenged from both bikes. I have a newly rebuilt pair of forks, sealed tank and other goodies for the GL500s.

Can the CX500 engine find a home in the GL500 frame with a reasonable amount of effort? Or am I making twice the work for myself?

Looking for links or advice or warnings or ridicule or encouragement--whatever is appropriate. Thanks.

·
Registered
940 Posts
It can be done, relatively easy job, but you will want to know the year of the engine you have. If it's a TI, you're a happy camper.

Reactions: JesterV

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
You will need to use the GL hangers on the CX engine.
Also I think it was mentioned that you need to change the output stub.

·
Registered
24,412 Posts
get a hold of rayman he can build you a halleffect plate for the cdi motor

that will go under the tin cover at the back of the motor and quite happily fire the ti ignition with no further

changes to the gl wiring or the cx motor you will not need to take the rear cover off the new motor

it will use the existing igniters wiring and coils all with a 20 minute install

the output shaft on the cx and gl are the same btw

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You guys are amazing. Thanks Brian, OCR and Murray. Sounds like I have a great project: "Brand New" engine and I can build the rest however I want. Getting lots of amazing ideas here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts