Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone happen to know anything about the engine guards used on this mod? I have an '82 CX500 that I'm looking to something similar to. I like the minimalistic feel of these.

honda-cx500.jpg

honda-cx500-1.jpg

·
Registered
398 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmm... another old thread with an expired eBay posting as an answer.

Forum Brothers and Sisters! I call upon thee! Raise your game!

Gripe, gripe, gripe...

·
Registered
2,267 Posts
Ya think the E Bay item should still be available after 5 years??? Or what.
I suppose after many years links are no longer useful???
You have a solution for this??? I ignore the links in old threads.

Reactions: nolimitz

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Hmm... another old thread with an expired eBay posting as an answer.

Forum Brothers and Sisters! I call upon thee! Raise your game!

Gripe, gripe, gripe...
If you were trying to find information on the guards, they are made by Fehling in Germany. I sold a set not long ago, here's a link to the post with some pictures:

https://cx500forum.com/forum/selling-buying-forum/95353-fehling-cx500-gl500-engine-guards-sale.html

Link to Wemoto's site where they are still sold new: https://www.wemoto.com/bikes/honda/cx_500_a/79-80/picture/engine_bars_fehling_germany

·
Registered
409 Posts
Hmmm... Shall we tell the search engine (in this case it was Google, via an image search) to ignore threads whose entirely valid answers have since evaporated? Then we'd be making headway! But that ain't gonna happen, and dead-ends in an archive waste people's time.

This forum, these threads, serve as a valuable repository to people seeking information about these bikes. They form an archive of information. Or, at least, that was the plan. Tim Berners-Lee had something similar in mind.

And Google is proceeding under the same apprehension, because, in some kind of sick technological joke, the Google algorithm has raised this very thread up in the search ratings to where I happened upon it pretty quickly. That's because Google has seen how many other pages have linked right to here! It's not just Yours Truly; there's a big ol' internet out there that thinks something valuable is in this very page.

But here's the beef: Answering a question with a link to an ephemeral ad somewhere might satisfy the requirements of the moment, but it defeats the archival function of this site and creates, instead of information, a page just waiting to be a dead end. This is a perfect example of thread that began as useful, but subsequently became of no utility whatsoever.

Worse, there used to be something there that--who knows?--could have been helpful five years later.

Only five years? Seriously? These bikes are 35-years-old!!! Yes! WE COME HERE FOR INFORMATION FROM THE PAST. Of course we do!

This dead, worthless (until Victor/VC3's helpful post, just above), teasing, time-sink of a page could have been prevented. Since we all know eBay postings go *poof* and vanish down the road, we ought be augmenting our responses with something--heck, anything--that will preserve the answer of the moment: A screen capture, a text cut-n-paste, a re-iteration of the information found, for the time being, in the short-term ad, But something.

There are at least three ways to make an archive trend toward uselessness:

1. Create so many duplicate threads on the same topic that valuable, highly specific information in one thread can no longer be found using common search terms. (Information over-clutter.)
  2. Vaguely titled posts (Information obscurity.)
  3. Responses with dead links. (Information diminution.)

This isn't "the way things happen" that must be dealt with. This is a failure to consider the larger the community. We can do better, and that is, of course, the answer. Let's do our part to prevent birth defects :wacko:, STDs :icon_redface:, and dying links :vs_greis:.

(I would have said, "forest fires", but there was no flame emoji. Oh, well.)

No, the eBay item will surely not be available after five years. But let's hope the content of this Forum will be.

And let's hope it stays worth something.

Thank You.

·
Registered
409 Posts
My point is not to post information that will become useless by evaporation in the first place. Not if there's a way to record a copy before the original evaporates.

Google image search doesn't give dates, anyway. It just offers a "visit" button.

But I'll bite: Let's say I was doing an general ("All") search on Google, instead of an image search. And I'm looking up "gl500 accelerator pump o ring size". There's my top result... dated Jun 14, 2014. Am I supposed to say, "2014? FAGHETTABOUDIT!"

Hardly. The result found by Google is a sticky on this Forum.

It's a sticky because somebody understands a primary function of this forum is to warehouse information.

"Those who cannot remember history are doomed to repeat it."

An archive with dead links faces, in a literal sense, exactly this doom.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts