• I plan to switch to an Ignitech with GL setup at a later date

Votes: 7 15.2%
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
you forgot one variation and that is switching a cdi bike to ti ignition
What does that entail Murray? Sounds interesting.

I can't change the poll without completly redoing the thread/poll and getting Mods to delete the current one...Ask me how I know :redface:

So we could classify that one under "Other" maybe?

·
Registered
197 Posts
Because here seems to be product names I couldn't resist to note one more option too:

- my FBG47 ac-cdi unit with the old, rebuilt or new G47 stator. :) Maybe the cheapest option to up-grate the old ignition system..

·
Registered
24,569 Posts
to answer that is not so simple

i only do it if i am working with a donor bike

you need the engine rotor g8 stator atu and ignition pulse generators

the rear cover and pulse generator cover

them the wiring harness and controls including ignition lock and igniters

now if you did this parts by part it would cost a bazillion dollars but if you have a gl500 that you bought for less than 150 as a donor bike to get the motor

it is a very reasonable easy upgrade and swap it is basically the same as what i do to the electrics when i put

a 650 in a 500

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all the info.
I apologize for not including all the options, as I told VC3 yesterday, perhaps I wasn't the best person to start this poll but I thought it might clear up some of the confusion on what seems to be the biggest "Achilles heel" of these bikes and help mbrs make an informed decision wrt replacing it.
I tried to modify the poll, however, I cannot without completely redoing the thread and poll then getting the mods to delete the old one, thereby loosing data. Perhaps, like you say, the mods could edit the poll to include the other options presented here?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Because here seems to be product names I couldn't resist to note one more option too:

- my FBG47 ac-cdi unit with the old, rebuilt or new G47 stator. :) Maybe the cheapest option to up-grate the old ignition system..
Andy, sorry to have left your option out, hopefully the mods can add it to the poll.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Troutbum, it's ok. It's understandable there are many options to choose from. Just wish we all can go riding soon! Yesterday we got little bit snow and the scenery looks very wintry again.
Need to ride, need to ride.. :)

·
Super Moderator
11,470 Posts
As far as I can tell the Mod's don't have ability to alter a poll. This poll, like many others, draws spammers out of the woodwork, which we can deal with. We don't know why that happens. Rest assured, if there are things the Mod's can't do, feel free to contact an admin, and I usually refer to NickJ.

I will look into adding Andy's build link to an appropriate section. May take a while.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
11,470 Posts
I've created a Sticky for the 3 CDI options I know of in this section. Additions are welcome, as are comments.

Side note, it's pretty hard to consolidate all the information into one spot, so users really have to do their own research. I know it's not always easy, but patience will prevail.

Joel in the Couve

·
Super Moderator
23,712 Posts
I've voted ignitech and G8 for my current rider.

However... the Oz deluxe I am building will be stock CDI. I have a few good CDI units and sets of pickups, advancers etc.

And.... my thingy will be running Rays Hall effect COP setup. Which may also find its way onto the daily rider.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.