Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey I've been looking through all the threads about doing an electric fan conversion as I am planning on doing one to my own 1979 CX500 custom. i see most people are using a KSD301 bimetallic switch somewhere in the range of 80 C for their switch. I was wondering if anyone has tried and adjustable switch like the one linked below or if anyone has any thought on pro/con or why they think it would or wouldn't work.

Thanks!
(also I'm new so any tips in general are appreciated and if there is a better place for me post this please let me know)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
hey I've been looking through all the threads about doing an electric fan conversion as I am planning on doing one to my own 1979 CX500 custom. i see most people are using a KSD301 bimetallic switch somewhere in the range of 80 C for their switch. I was wondering if anyone has tried and adjustable switch like the one linked below or if anyone has any thought on pro/con or why they think it would or wouldn't work.

Thanks!
(also I'm new so any tips in general are appreciated and if there is a better place for me post this please let me know)

another option i've seen is even a whole kit like these ones:

where the probe slots between the radiator fins

·
Registered
3,559 Posts
It looks like the switch in your first post is a normally closed switch, for the e-fan conversion you need a normally open switch. The linked switch has a 40 degree difference between opening and closing which means the fan might stay on all the time, most switches used have a smaller differential, more like 10 degrees.

The set in your second post is closer to what you want. Do you need the ability to adjust the turn on point?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It looks like the switch in your first post is a normally closed switch, for the e-fan conversion you need a normally open switch. The linked switch has a 40 degree difference between opening and closing which means the fan might stay on all the time, most switches used have a smaller differential, more like 10 degrees.

The set in your second post is closer to what you want. Do you need the ability to adjust the turn on point?
not necessarily it was more just out of curiosity and the idea that having an adjustable switch might be nice in order to dial in the system

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks!

Hi:

This is what I did. I wanted the switch to actually come in contact with the radiator fluid so that there would not be a delay in the fan coming on. I've seen people epoxying to the top of the radiator, which doesn't make much sense because the coolant hasn't had a chance to run through the radiator, so the fan will probably be running all the time. I also wanted something easily removable should the switch fail. So, I found a brass bolt at a local hardware store, it wasn't metric so I had to tap out the threads on the drain to 1/2inch. I cut the bolt from 3/4 to 1/2inch, drilled and tapped a 8-32 socket. Then put a little thermal paste on the head of the sensor, to help conduct heat, and a little thread locker to make sure it doesn't come loose. It works great.

Rob H.
82 Honda GL500I

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
It closes at 180 ish and open's I belive at 170. I wanted to be a little more conservative on the closing temp. Last summer I took a trip from Princeton West Virginia to Myrtle Beach and I got stuck in a three-hour traffic jam on the way back while still in South Carolina due to a multi-car pile-up. It was friggen hot as hell and my bike's temp gauge crept ever so close to overheating. So over the winter, I converted the bike to an electric fan. Now, part of the problem may have been the fact that the inside of the radiator was cake with the hard water deposits. So I let it soak with 50/50 vinegar/water solution for a day or two. So, we'll have to see what happens this summer, but so far it seems to be working well. Thanks for the interest.

Rob

·
Super Moderator
13,431 Posts
i see most people are using a KSD301 bimetallic switch somewhere in the range of 80 C for their switch.
Honda used a 92c fan switch on the CX.GL/650 models as well as on the GL1000/1100/1200 (& I'm sure more models I'm not familiar with).
When I replaced the engine in my GoldWing I bought a Suzuki spec fan switch (cheap and had the right threads) and didn't notice that it was an 82c switch until I installed the engine and found that the fan came on as soon as the engine warmed up and stayed on until I shut the engine off. I have replaced it with a 92c switch.

BTW: This pic should be in all discussions of the cooling systems for these engines

1 - 8 of 8 Posts