Honda CX 500 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am new to the forum and the biking world. Thanks for all the help so far! This forum is really a great resource.

I bought a 1980 CX500 Custom a few weeks ago as my first bike and LOVE IT! I have put a few hundred dollars into general maintenance things and flushing out all the fluids to start keeping track for good routine schedule.

I noted that there was a heavy gas smell in the newly changed oil after about 50 miles of driving and have done a lot or research as to what the problem may be. I am comfortable with trying to figure that out with all the great help i found here.

I just put new tires on it and changed the oil (again, after 300 miles) so i could ride on the new tires and not worry about the oil/gas problem. HOWEVER, like a jackass, i tightened the drain plug too tight (without washer) and CRACKED the transmission cover directly beneath the drain plug. I have the chance of buying a 1979 cx500 Deluxe and using it as a spare parts bike.

Heres the question:

Are there many parts from the 1979 CX500 Deluxe bike that can NOT be used as a replacement (exact or comparable) for the same parts on the 1980 CX500 Custom? Would I be wasting my money on the 79 because none of the parts will work with my 80? … especially the transmission cover? I have looked around and am under the impression that I'll be ok, but i'd like your opinion!

THANKS!

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Many but certainly not all parts are interchangeable on these bikes. The best thing to do is to go into a good parts fiche and write down the exact # of the part you need, then look up the same part for the potential donor bike you have in mind to see if they match. Then there are the occasional instances that a part is the same but got a different part #. This comes up a lot when trying to match parts between a regular or deluxe to a custom, could be the identical part but they seemed to insist on creating a unique # for many of the parts that came on the customs despite being the same.

·
Super Moderator
15,416 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Hello,

I am new to the forum and the biking world. Thanks for all the help so far! This forum is really a great resource.

I bought a 1980 CX500 Custom a few weeks ago as my first bike and LOVE IT! I have put a few hundred dollars into general maintenance things and flushing out all the fluids to start keeping track for good routine schedule.

I noted that there was a heavy gas smell in the newly changed oil after about 50 miles of driving and have done a lot or research as to what the problem may be. I am comfortable with trying to figure that out with all the great help i found here.

I just put new tires on it and changed the oil (again, after 300 miles) so i could ride on the new tires and not worry about the oil/gas problem. HOWEVER, like a jackass, i tightened the drain plug too tight (without washer) and CRACKED the transmission cover directly beneath the drain plug. I have the chance of buying a 1979 cx500 Deluxe and using it as a spare parts bike.

Heres the question:

Are there many parts from the 1979 CX500 Deluxe bike that can NOT be used as a replacement (exact or comparable) for the same parts on the 1980 CX500 Custom? Would I be wasting my money on the 79 because none of the parts will work with my 80? … especially the transmission cover? I have looked around and am under the impression that I'll be ok, but i'd like your opinion!

THANKS!
I did about the same thing when I changed the oil in mine. I'll pass along a few ideas to hopefully save you some grief. First off I would get the gasket and a bolt to remove the fan before you start. The bolt is the same size as the rear axle, so I took my rear axle nut and found one the correct size, and I had to go to a motorcycle shop to find one, None of the box stores had the right size. Oh, and a service manual if you don't have one! I think the gasket is officially called the transmission cover gasket, and I know you can order them from Honda. When you re-assemble everything, there are two places that have a small metal sleeve and o-ring between the front cover and the engine. One is the oil pump and the other is the sending unit. Make sure you put both of these on before assembly or you won't have oil pressure. (Don't ask me how I know.) Also there is a small T shaped piece that goes in your clutch, right in the center, and make sure you put that in or you won't have a clutch! (Again don't ask). I have done this a couple of times and it's no big deal if you have everything to do it all at once. Where I made my mistake was taking it apart, ordering the gasket and trying to put it back together several days later, and my old brain couldn't remember where everything went. One thing that is a little tricky, for me anyway, is to make sure you don't distort the gasket in the upper right corner, (facing the bike from the front). It is easy to push the gasket off when you are trying to get the cover behind the radiator mount there.

·
Registered
8,422 Posts
Hello,

THANKS!

All the front engine covers are the same or the GL/CX500s.

Tip:Buy a torque wrench.You cannot do any real work/servicing on bikes/cars without one.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-drive-click-stop-torque-wrench-807.html

HTH

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Drain plug & washer are the same as the Honda cars, Auto parts store Help! section or TAS has them with free shipping if you mention the forum.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.