1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
28 Posts
thats a large shiney tank.... I like it! Bet the cruise range is going to be great.

·
Registered
458 Posts
Hi Donald, bike looking sweet as ever.

·
Registered
37 Posts
So how much did it cost and is the guy you had do that interested in doing another one with a slightly smaller back end so it doesn't stick out from the seat as much?

Looks pretty darn good.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The price is confidential but I have been told that this is a one off tank. Larry also said that in order to even make it profitable to him they would have to sell for $1000.

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Hey Stitch, Who's project is this? Very nice detailed work. Nice outcome. What is the new capacity?

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Stitch, Who's project is this? Very nice detailed work. Nice outcome. What is the new capacity?

Technically it's mine if I can say that. But i'm on the lazy side. All the work is being done by Larry. He's such a perfectionist. The capacity is 6 gallons 54 ounces.

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
Technically it's mine if I can say that. But i'm on the lazy side. All the work is being done by Larry. He's such a perfectionist. The capacity is 6 gallons 54 ounces.

The bike isn't yours is it? Just the tank (and handle bars),,or are the side covers yours too? Nice work Larry (There is no "Thumbs Up" icon, if there was one, it would go here)

·
Registered
402 Posts
Man! I thought my bike was top heavy! I just realized that is an extra 15 or 20 pounds of fuel at the highest point on the bike! Stitch, keep your speed up or it might tip over! lol

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The bike is Larry's sons. He didn't want to do the tank just to find out something stupid caused problems in the end. For example the stock handle bars on the custom don't like the tank. Most stock tanks have 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep handlebar dents. Because of this I asked him to shorten the distance of the bars in the middle. I think he said he took 3 inches out. Basically they are stock bars modified to look like taller Daytona bars which I really like.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts

B Stitch, that capacity is near the ST, its 7.4 gallons. Even with that much fuel Don & I needed the 7 gallon transfer tank on the back of my camper trailer on our trip to Alaska in 08.

Gene

PS: they cheated on the ST, what looks like the tank is actually just a cover over the air breather for the 4 carbs. The actual tank sits very low under the seat. That helps with the center of gravity, the ST is a tall bike anyway.

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Gene,

I'll keep that in mind when I get motivated to pick up a simple trailer. I know it's not a long adventure but I would really like to get out to Denver next year. With one person the bike would probably be fine but with two people camping accessories a light trailer fits the bill.

·
Registered
399 Posts
The bike is Larry's sons. He didn't want to do the tank just to find out something stupid caused problems in the end. For example the stock handle bars on the custom don't like the tank. Most stock tanks have 1/2 to 3/4 inch deep handlebar dents. Because of this I asked him to shorten the distance of the bars in the middle. I think he said he took 3 inches out. Basically they are stock bars modified to look like taller Daytona bars which I really like.

Maybe that's why the custom I bought had some weird handlebars on it to replace stock, and dents in the gas tank.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I want one,Lets ee if we can find a larger tank that will do the job.

great job larry and don by the way

previously known on this site as malcoops

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Money has been sent, truck ticket was purchased and she is on her way home in 7 days. USPS take care of her. I know you're the right people for the job because you have the weapons to protect the packages. WWUSPSD (What Would USPS Do?) Do you feel lucky punk? Do Ya because this is the largest CX500c tank in the world with $1000 insurance on it.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
So is that your bike in the picture or no?  You had black forks last time I saw it, either way that tank is looking great.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
6 and a third U.S. gallons should give you close to 300 miles on a tank?

This would now put the CX into the touring class.....

Rick

·
Super Moderator
15,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So is that your bike in the picture or no?  You had black forks last time I saw it, either way that tank is looking great.

The answer is mentioned above but it's Larry's sons bike. Which turned into his test bike.

I'm pretty sure if the saddlebags and trailer hitch didn't turn it into a tourer then this tank will top it off.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts