Honda CX 500 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My restoration project of the 79 CX500 Custom is to the point of some short road tests. After about 10 miles of highway speed driving I thought I detected the engine starting to miss although the tach wasn't dropping off. Taking a side road at lower speed everything feels and sounds fine. Could the coils be the cause? The plugs aren't fouled, the carbs are rebuilt, the gas is fresh and the temperature is normal. I'm not sure if there are any early warnings of a dying coil(s).

·
Registered
144 Posts
My restoration project of the 79 CX500 Custom is to the point of some short road tests. After about 10 miles of highway speed driving I thought I detected the engine starting to miss although the tach wasn't dropping off. Taking a side road at lower speed everything feels and sounds fine. Could the coils be the cause? The plugs aren't fouled, the carbs are rebuilt, the gas is fresh and the temperature is normal. I'm not sure if there are any early warnings of a dying coil(s).
After stator-check the coils.
Primary and secondary readings easy to do.
Also look for any "hairline" cracks in the coil casing-had a intermittent miss on a BMW that I traced to a hairline crack in one coil.

·
Registered
638 Posts
So an old car mechanic once told me the easiest way to find cracks/shorts in the ignigion system is as follows:
  1. Find a relatively dark place
  2. Start the vehicle
  3. Using a spray bottle with just plain water, lithely mist the water over the ignition system and you will see a light show where the shorts are
I've not done this but it seems very logical.

Cheers and let us know your findings

·
Super Moderator
20,808 Posts
Aaahhhh ..... the under tank aurora borealis.

I saw that riding home in the rain on either my CB450 or 350 many years ago. He missed and bucked like a pig but got home.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts